www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: need advice
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:35 pm 

Sorry havent been on in a while but been very busy, well anyway with the advice i need , its on two things

I'm going on a trip to go to my mothers wedding, well i am flying and they said i need to be there 3 hours early for securty checks, I dont want to have any embarising situation so on this I am asking for personal experiences / sugestions

the second thing is i havent told my family about my problems and when i have seen them i felt they havent noticed however i need to tell them just dont know how to tell them :roll: , its probally not going to be an issue but still makes me nervous
They know i have back problems but not the extent of the other problems they cause. I dunno.

I would say i am most worried about the plane, I keep getting this vision of the going through my luggage in front of everyone making me be in a situation i had rather not been in.
:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:16 pm 

Here's my past experience at airports. Your checked in luggage will be looked at, but you will not be there to see them go though it. It's your carry on luggage that you'll be around. When they xray your bag, they are looking for sharp metal objects and liquids. If you pack a 4 oz or larger bottle of lotion, they'll take it. The xray will not really define a diaper in the bag. It would pick up a diaper pin, though. If you pack pins, make sure they are in your "checked" luggage.
There is a very, very small outside chance you could randomly be picked for an enhanced seach. If you do get picked, they'll go through every thing in you bag in front of you. This happened to me on my last trip. I only had a few things in there like a diaper change, but nothing too embarrasing.
As far as telling your parents, just take a deep breath and do it! It will not be as hard as you think. They'll understand and really will think nothing of it. Good Luck!! ..............Paul Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:28 pm 

on the carry on i'm probally just going to have just a back-pack with a change, some magazines, laptop and a small pack of wipe, plus my money and phone of course, and the rest will go in the hold. so hopefully I wolnt have any issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:30 am 

Last time I travelled, I had all my diapers in carry on (it was just for a couple of days. The only problem I had was that they always opened my bag after it went through the x-ray. I guess you can't tell that it's diapers without looking!

As far as family goes, right now my theory is "if asked, tell." Otherwise, let it go. On the other hand I did tell my parents before going on vacation with them. It didn't go particularly well, but then that's my parents :roll:. I guess I'm not sure what to tell you

Post subject: Travelling
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:35 pm 

I'm a "frequent flyer", as the airlines like to call me, as I have homes in the UK and Spain. I always take some spare pull-ups and waterproof pants in my hand-luggage, for the journey, and I have found the airport security staff to be discreet on the odd occasions on which my travel-bag has been searched.

I wrap my things in an opaque supermarket carrier bag, inside my travel-bag. The staff open the bag, have a look inside, and then close it again very quickly - in their own embarrassment. I just stand and smile.....nobody has ever made a comment.

On one occasion, some years ago, I had bought new supplies of terry-towelling squares and plastic pants in the UK, to take to Spain. This was the one time when I didn't want my hold-luggage to be searched, but it was. I had about ten pairs of plastic pants in various colours, wrapped in a carrier bag. The mature lady who searched my bag looked inside at the plastic pants, but didn't take them out of the carrier bag. She then looked at me, smiled slightly, and unmistakably glanced down to below my waist. She said nothing.

If it's going to happen, then it will, and there's nothing you can do about it. All I can suggest is that you be content with yourself and what you need to wear. Have confidence in that, and smile.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:40 am 

CSW,

Have you taken your trip? If so, how about posting your experience at the airport? I don't travel much on a plane.....maybe one a year at most, but I have never had an problems with the security staff looking in my carry-on bag. I can only recall, once, or twice that they even open the bag to look inside and never took anything out of the bag while they were checking.

Anytime I travel long distance, I ALWAY wear a diaper designed for extended wear. I HATE changing in public restrooms no matter where I'm at. I would pretty much have to be leaking before I would change in a public restroom. One thing that might help, or at least provide some additional "peace of mind" is wearing plastic pants over the didposable diaper for long trips. I've done this with, and without the use of plastic pants, and I don't think wear plastic pants over a "good" quality extended wear disposable is necessary but it will add to the feeling of security of not having any leaks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:05 pm 

the trip went well, other than have to ride on a prop plane, nothing was ever said , well my brother said something but it was still cool, so not so bad.