www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:02 pm 

Thanks Rocketman, I have for a while and still a little have let this control me more that it should. For me, I fear that others won't understand and/or I am still just scared. This was huge for me to face, but when God puts on your heart to do something, I would rather listen to Him than worry about how I think things might be.

Kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:09 am 

AMEN K.T..........................

.................Enough said...........Sandy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:01 pm 

This last Monday was a small test for me. I went to a prayer and dinner to get us ready for some training days, 5 Saturdays in a row, 7am to 5pm. I was nervous and scared because there were two people there that know I am incontinent and were the two that helped me finally listen to what I am suppose to do. Things went fine.

This Saturday is the first real big test for me. I will be spending all day with about 50 guys at a church, training for our prison ministry. I pray that there will be no need for change while there. This is one fear I have not overcome, changing when there are others around that know me. It's funny that when I go to physical therapy, I can change in the bathroom there at the hospital and it doesn't bother me that much, but the thought of having to change elsewhere really bothers me. I will watch my fluids and thank God for my new diapers, but if I have a close call, I am thinking about using a catheter and leg bag those days.

To add to my fear/nervousness, I received an email today from the Chaplain I have been working with at the prison. The Chaplain will be leaving and taking a new job before the long weekend that we are to be there. So that I don’t have problems getting into the prison with extra diapers and my abdominal brace, the Chaplain contacted one of the top officials there to let them know about my incontinence and need to wear a brace. I know this official pretty good, but he never knew about these problems. I know have to face the challenge of talking with someone else, which makes me want to just stop, curl up, and give up. I know that will not accomplish anything. So I will step up and talk to him to make sure everything is still o.k., but I still am not comfortable about it.

Why is it so easy to deal with incontinence when no one knows you?
Is being scared the way I am right now normal?
Is there anything I can do to help me fight these fears?
I have learned a lot from all the knowledge shared here, and feel that I have started to accept what my body is or isn’t doing to some degree, but does it ever get easier to deal with?
I pray that some day, I can have at least half of the wisdom and confidence that several of you here have.

Thanks for reading/listening
Kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:35 pm 

No problem, you will be fine. You should have NO issues of needing to change IF you have selected the right type of protection. When I'm out an about and going to be away from home all day (8 hours, or more) I wear the Abri X-Plus. Molicare also make a good quality brief that will last for hours. I have used both, and I like the Abri X-Plus the best. I was reading a post on this site today about another quality brief designed for extend wear and the name of that company/brief is Dry 24/7. I really don't have a need to try it as I am very happy using the Abri X-Plus for extended wear. The important thing is wearing a "quality" brief designed for extended use....as in all day wear without changing. Additionally, I would recommend the use of some type of oral odor control tablets. Nullo and Chlorophyll & Mint work well for me. You can have a diaper that will last all day but you don't want any odors either. About a year ago, someone that I was standing close to ask me if I smelled anything? They said something smells like pee. :( I never said anyhting and soon after walked away, but I take odor control tables every day now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:43 pm 

Update on my prison ministry.
The first weekend went pretty good. The first time I entered the prison with my bag, containing two spare diapers and wipes, the officer checked it and came close to pulling them all the way out of the bag. I was scared but held it together. He asked if they were needed and I said, YES, and he then gave me my bag back. The Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning, a female officer checked my bag and was very discreet about it. During the weekend, I did what I shouldn’t have, I dehydrated myself hoping that I wouldn’t have to change while I was there. This worked till Sunday. Sunday was not a good day. Half way through the day, I had to change. I took my bag into a single lockable bathroom that we were allowed to use. It wasn’t that sound proof so I made sure to change when everyone was in the meeting room and not out and about. Glad I changed, cause after that I had to meet about 90 people at the main gate and check them in for a special closing ceremony. My nerves where so hyped it caused my bladder to work over time. Thank God for a fresh clean super absorbent diaper. Once everything was done, we all went back to the camp ground to get our stuff and clean up the place. The leader for the next weekend stayed there with me to talk. He wanted to know if I would be willing to be his assistant which if selected, that would mean I would be the leader after him. I broke down and told him about my incontinence and wasn’t sure if I could handle it. The reason I was able to handle this time was because I was free to come and go as needed and every night, I left early before everyone and was able to clean up and change before they got back to the camp ground. He was very understanding and said pray about it and let God decide for you. He was willing to work with me and make things work for me.

Well this last Saturday, we went back to the prison to finish up. Again, I was last in line to be checked. There were only two of us in the locked in area being patted down and such. Things were going o.k. till I noticed an older officer going through my bag. He had never checked me in before so he pulled my diapers all the way out of the bag and even opened them up some. When I say this I was scared. Part because they are the purple Dry 24/7 diapers. Once he looked at them, he put them back in. The guy I was with either didn’t see it or was kind enough not to say anything. Another thing that helped was the other guy with me was a Priest. What I didn’t know was there were about 30 other guys on the other side of the glass barred area we were in waiting on us. I don’t know if anyone saw. When I walked in, I just acted as normal, praying hard under my breath that no one saw. To this day I don’t know if anyone did see or not. No one approached me or said anything to me. Later that day, I told the next leader what had happened and he laughed along with me. I told him, since I was able to live through that, I know I could do anything else asked of me so if the council selects me to be the next leader, I will accept.
This has been a big test to prove to me that my incontinence will not stop God from working and using me in His plans.

Sorry for the long post.
Thank you all for your prayers and support.
Kent

Post subject: Made me late for work
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:11 pm 

One moring, I was trying to manage putting on rash cream and the diaper at the same time. I knew it would probably mean going throuh lots of diapers. I thought i had mastered it using gloves..i was wrong...i didnt use gloves.

Anyway... I get to work about a half hour late.. How the hell do u explain u were late because u couldnt get your diaper on right? It was then i decided to give up working on Wenesday. I had debated about it for some time, it being near the end of the semester, and needing more time to focus on homework, but that did it. I will never be late again because of my diapers. I'm really at my wits end trying to use wings supreme. theyve never leaked on me in public, my only complaint is the tapes. And the fact they feel like sandpaper. I could use pullups if i wanted to, maybe. But, i don't think i will unless i find a pullup that i can get thru my insurance that is tight and doesn't leave gaps in the crotch. The only pullup id even consider using that ive tried is tena.

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II