www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:02 pm 

After talking it over with my wife and urologist, I had TUIP surgery on Wednesday in the hope that it would allow my bladder to empty more completely and make it possible to use intermittent catheters. I have been retaining 400-500 ccs due to neurogenic bladder and a very tight sphincter (which is what also made it difficult to use a cath). He told my wife after the surgery that if it was any tighter, I wouldn't have been able to urinate. After some questioning, my urologist concluded that the tightness was due to chronic use of sinus pills, which I ate like Skittles at times due to lingering sinus congestion, headaches, etc. When he explained it, it made total sense, and he noted the warnings that say "May cause difficulty urinating."

Has anyone else here heard of this? He said it is rare that it happens to my extent, but I can't help but wonder if others on here have the same issue.

As far as the TUIP itself, the surgery was a breeze and very little discomfort from the actual surgery. The 20 Fr Foley I had to wear for a couple days after was far worse and very painful (made worse by the fact my urethra was raw and stretched). It is too soon to tell how this will all play out, but I am optimistic that at least I won't have the all out floods in the future. Also, his hope is that if my bladder empties and the pressure is reduced, I should be able to regain at least some control over time. I like the idea of being able to straight cath when I want to...I'm sure there will be times it will be handy, but at this point I don't think I'd do it regularly (he said like 4-5 times a day).