www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just saying "Hi!"
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:37 pm 

I used to occasionally post at Beeter's site. You would think that in all the internet there would be many "safe" places to post honest questions about incontinence. I've looked and looked, and there wasn't... other than the IRC.

Since this new forum started up I've been hanging around, reading posts and listening in. I think there is real potential here to be of help to people, a safe place to talk.

Last edited by Kendal on Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Welcome, Kendal
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:01 am 

Hi Kendal!
Welcome to Schoppy's ISO.......yeah, I just made that up. I don't want to "steal" Beeter's IRC, to me the IRC will always mean Beeter's page. But perhaps Incontinent Support dot Org will catch on as the ISO.

I am so glad you joined us; you are most welcome here!

Thank you for checking out the Primer and thank you for your contribution! That's what we want to encourage! The more contributions, the greater the knowlege and experience base will be which will, we feel, make the Primer a valuable tool for the incontinent.

Joe K

Post subject: Re: Just saying "Hi!"
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:47 pm 

Kendal wrote:
Hello!

This is my first post, and I thought I'd introduce myself
Kendal

hi kendal,
welcome to the forum

Post subject: Re: Welcome, Kendal
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:09 am 
JoeK wrote:
Hi Kendal!
Welcome to Schoppy's ISO.......yeah, I just made that up. I don't want to "steal" Beeter's IRC, to me the IRC will always mean Beeter's page. But perhaps Incontinent Support dot Org will catch on as the ISO.

(snip)

Joe K

IRC for me will always mean Internet Relay Chat and not Beeter's site. IRC is known as that for most people that used internet for a while. Besides, I don't tend to make up acronyms for the websites I visit. Everybody's different I guess. ISO is another bad acronym to pick as it's also widely accepted as meaning something else as well (just like IRC).

Post subject: Re: Just saying "Hi!"
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:14 am 
Kendal wrote:
I am urge incontinent and also have what I think is Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

I thought I had IBS too - and so were the docs telling me for a while. But really it wasn't that. The colon tends to not function properly when you don't (can't) do much exercise, and some meds affect it too (stress, diet, flu/colds, ...) Lots of things can mess things up.

As for the urge, I'm stuck with that as well but detrol is helping a lot.

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:05 pm 
I am very new to all of this. I think I'm in the right place. I am incontient. Let me back up, start over. Last June I "T boned" a car driven by a 76 year old lady who did not see me. I was on my Honda, in the city at less than 30mph, I saw here look at me then pulled away from the curb. I spent 7 full months in the hospital with first in a coma and the other broken stuff and then in the rehab place. I was out of the coma and most of the broken stuff was healed and I was at the rehab place where they were teaching me stuff, you know what I mean. I'm still in a chair so they teach me how to get into a car and back to the chair, how to get out of bed, that sort of thing. My parents and gf come every day my twin sister abd here husband come on the weekends and my brother at college visits when he can. Things seam to be going well when one day the light snaps on. I'm wearing a diaper. All the times before, the nurse would make the bed flat and change me. I didn't care. My parents, sister I didn't care. It got worse. At first I was told it would be only for a short time. Now I understand it very well be forever. It's all because of the severe nerve damage I suffered in the accident. My Doc's tell me, and I understand what then are saying, "Jack, we can not fix it, sorry". I am 24 years old, was living with my g.f. but am now back at my parents home that has been remodled for me and my chair. Only now I can walk a little with a walker. My new bedroom has a shower, toilet and sink. It also has a electric type bed with rails that I don't much care for. All my stuff is here from my old appt, the normal stuff. And the not so normal stuff is here to, like diapers and the pants that I have to wear over them. Any way, thanks for letting me ramble on. If anyone wants to chat, feel free as I've got the time. My e-mail is JackR2424@aol.com. JackRogers

Post subject: Hello Jack
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:54 pm 
Admin

Hello Jack

Welcome to our forum.

Im sorry to hear about your accident but am glad that you are doing better.

Diapers are hard to get used to but over time you will get used to them.
They are just part of the every day life that we have to deal with.

I was in an auto accident back in 1987 and spent 4 years in 7 different hospitals. The theripy that I went through was hard and long lasting but it wasnt anything like I went through mentally on getting used to being in diapers. But over the years I have accepted them and now they are just part of my life.

If you want, you are welcome to join us in our live chat every evening.
You can find the info on the main page of this website.

Schoppy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:48 am 
Hi Jack, and sorry to hear about your condition. Incontinence isn't a fun thing to live with, and being stuck in diapers is hard to accept, especially if it's 24/7. My incon problems were caused by a car accident as well (rear ended), but thankfully aren't this bad. I wasn't in coma nor walker involved, but I can imagine what kind of life you have now. In my case, my main problem isn't actually incontinence but chronic pain (much harder to deal with than incon really) due to nerve damage, bad discs and soft tissue injury. It changes your life a lot. It gets very hard some days, but don't loose all hopes. Take it day by day. Life is still worth living and all (I'm glad to see my kids everyday). I'm not much older than you are either. And instead of me moving back to my parents', it's my mom (my parents are divorced) that moved to my place to help me with the house and kids as some days are pretty hard.

take care

Post subject: pain
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:51 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Hi Jack, and sorry to hear about your condition. Incontinence isn't a fun thing to live with, and being stuck in diapers is hard to accept, especially if it's 24/7. My incon problems were caused by a car accident as well (rear ended), but thankfully aren't this bad. I wasn't in coma nor walker involved, but I can imagine what kind of life you have now. In my case, my main problem isn't actually incontinence but chronic pain (much harder to deal with than incon really) due to nerve damage, bad discs and soft tissue injury. It changes your life a lot. It gets very hard some days, but don't loose all hopes. Take it day by day. Life is still worth living and all (I'm glad to see my kids everyday). I'm not much older than you are either. And instead of me moving back to my parents', it's my mom (my parents are divorced) that moved to my place to help me with the house and kids as some days are pretty hard.

take care

and
The only pain I've had from my accident is from my broken heart. I've lost lots, probley more that I know. The number 1 loss is my independence. One week before I left the rehab hospital a nurse came into my room, sat on my bed and said, "Jack, we have to talk". She told me that all 3 Doc's say I can leave the hospital in about a week. But, before I can go to my parents home they and Linda my gf, my kid brother and sister need to know how to take care of me. If they don't know I have to go into a nursinghome until I can take care of my self. I guess I never thought about it until then. My parents had added on, built a new bedroom for me, the ramp and stuff. I tell her I want to go home. That was on Thursday. Saturday at 11 they were all there, even my brother who was away at college. The nurse ask me about 10 times if I'm ok with this, and I say yes every time. The nurse Dave, tells my family a bib at meal time is a good idea, he will send a few home with me. Now the big things he wants them to understand, falling out of bed or chair and, keeping me dry. One more time Dave ask me if I ok and I tell him to go ahead because that's the only way I'm going home. Dave is on my right side and asked the others to gather around behind him. He tells them the law says to "check and change every 2 hours". Dave tells them that I was checked about 2 hours ago and he brings the sheet all the way down. And there I am, laying in bed and all I got on is a t-shirt and a diaper and nurse Dave is going show them how to change the diaper. I am 24 years old! I've been home now about 3 1/2 weeks and it's getting better, I guess.

My dad takes care of me most of the time. We start the day with me in my shower chair. I wheel it to the shower where the controls are on the outside wall. I can wash everything my self except my back side. I pull myself up with the handles, dad takes care of what I cann't and I'm done. I can dry myself and I can go from the chair to my bed. I guess some or most of you know how my day goes be.

I am getting stronger, I only use the chair when I get realy tired. I have walked a little bit with a cane. When I ask if I will be able to go back to work, they tell me it's all up to me.

take care

Jack

Post subject: Car Accidents
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:56 pm 
I too developed incontinence as a result of an accident. Mine was with a motorcycle about 20 years ago. One minute I think I am Evil Kenevil and the next thing I know I am wearing disposable diapers and have been for two decades.

People say you get used to them and really you actually do. I can totally forget that I am wearing them (until I need to chnage) because you get used to the feel.

The best diaper I have ever used is the Abena x-plus which allows me to go for a much longer time between changes.

I hope that you keep on improving and keep in mind that there may be a cure for your incontinence in the future. Don't give up becuase new medical breakthroughs happen all the time.

:D