www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:39 pm 
Admin

I am diagnosed with Bipolar 1 Disorder. I have been hospitalized between 15-20 times. I've lost count. For stability (and to try and attain some normalcy), I take many medications that are quite severe with many harmful side effects. Some of which include a risk of death. Therapeutic levels are small and a bit too much on the spectrum and lethality can occur. I am in the care of many doctors. Due to these medicines, I have developed autonomic nerve damage. After years of complaints of seemingly unrelated symptoms my current physician saw the connection. I used to see the VA who wrote me off as an anxiety case without performing any tests. So I left the VA and used my private insurance to see my new primary care provider (PCP). I brought to her my numerous complaints of difficulty breathing, trouble swallowing, & decreased sweating. I overheated last summer and it was almost fatal and I ended up in the ER getting fluids for 6 hrs. I also have trouble with temperature regulation, hot/cold Intolerance, nausea, indigestion, diarrhea, and complete loss of bladder and bowel control. After bringing all of this (which was ignored by the VA) to my current PCP, she agreed with me that something wasn't right and referred me to one of the leading neurologists in N. Florida. It was there that after describing my symptoms, I was given the diagnosis of autonomic neuropathy and forwarded to the Mayo Clinic in FL. Since going to Mayo, I have been evaluated by neurology, who ran a series of uncomfortable but bearable tests, and confirmed my sweating dysfunction termed Anhydrosis. The Mayo Neurologist then referred me to urology who performed blood tests, urinalysis, and a Cystoscopy. They offered medication however anticholinergics effect my heart rhythm. We also discussed Botox which it was determined I wasn't a good candidate for, and interstem. Being only 35, I didn't opt for this because it precludes me from ever having an MRI. The urologist agreed with my decision. I was then forwarded to gastroenterology. I had more blood tests, an esophageal dilation to try to correct my swallowing dysfunction, and anorectal manometry. That last one was slightly uncomfortable. They were able to determine the abnormality that causes me to be fecal incontinent. I will hear from the GI for the interpretation next week. I have also seen pulmonary which performed their tests and found the etiology to my breathing disorder (I randomly stop breathing) and cardiology. They found that I alternate between bradycardia and tachycardia with episodes of v/tach. So I just can't win. After all this was over, I went back to my referring neurologist who said this is all a direct occurrence due to my medical treatment. There is no known treatment and no cure. It seems to be progressive and chronic as conditions have unrelentingly pyramided over the years. The sad part is that in some cases, it is potentially fatal due to the occurrence of silent heart attacks, or cardiac arrest with no warning signs. Acute respiratory failure can also occur from a virus such as pneumonia. Needless to say, I'm in therapy.