www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:20 pm 

I think this forum is a great source of information for those of us who are new to incontinence. My situation was brought about by prostate surgery. I had visited the forum while I still had the catheter it place. Today it was removed and what a variety of issues I had to deal with. When they first took out the catheter, the concern from the nurse was could I pee at all (I couldn't). Since they would not let me go home until I peed, I downed a couple of cokes and a cup of coffee. The logic being that if I get enough fluid in it has to come out. After all you never really own coffee or beer you just borrow them. Well the flow started gradually after an hour or so, and then it was zero control. I was going through the pads that the hospital gave me like crap through a goose. Anyway, thanks to the advice of the forum I had invested in some Abena X-Plus diapers before hand, and they are great. I hope that sometime in the future I can graduate to some kind of pad. Thanks again for a great forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:00 am 

Thank you for your comments and please jump in anytime with any question or comment we would love to have you. Being a Female I'm not sure how much I can help you but then there's more males on here then females .....................Sandy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:27 am 

schneiderrd, I also am a prostate cancer survivor. The incontintnce is a tough thing to call. Some men are okay in weeks others in months some never. It should improve with exercise and time - after you heal from surgery. But not always. My surgery was complicated by the fact I had had a heart attack 3 months before it and the meds were not all gone and i bled out and the doctor had multiple issues to deal with. At least that is my take on it. MOST men are mostly continent within a year or less - I am still dealing with it 4 years later. Be prepared for the worst then work for the best. As far as protection goes it is maddening since there are so many choices. Believe me on this. Being over diapered is much better than being under diapered. I hope they got the cancer which is the most important thing, diapers won't kill you - cancer will. Good luck and welcome. Papa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:27 am 

Schneiderrd,
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for the nice comments. Papa did a good job with his take on prostate cancer. Being a male, I too have to keep an eye on the ole prostate. Mine's a little enlarged, but my uroligist watches it each year.
Keep looking the forum over, and jump in whenever you see anything. Thanks again!! .................Paul Martin