www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:35 pm 

I'd say that if you have problems with flooding and leaking, Depend adjustables are not a good option. I wear them every day at work, but the elastic on the legs tends to wear out, and they will leak if you flood them.

Post subject: Doctors visit
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:37 pm 

I tried making a urologist appointment today and one said the cost is over $700.00 but fortunately I found one for $150.00 so I may be going within this month. I have learned about skimping on protection so I went shopping today. My plan is to wear a diaper with tapes with these support spandex like pants they have at Target that are supposed to make you look thinner. This will also add an extra layer to absorb a possible leak and if I have a situation like I had yesterday I will be carrying and extra pair of those to change. Also, I found some longer shirts which have eaither belts or strings on top and cover my lower body. I will be wearing nothing but black pants and skirts. I didn't find any jeans. I purchased a longer coat almost to my knees which was an incredible deal. I already have two large purses. This will be for winter. For spring and summer I will wear skirts with spandex shorts underneath. If anyone asks about my new clothes I'm telling them it is time to treat myself and to prove this next week I will be getting my hair and nails done. That is something I will be able to do with a diaper because I have not been able to do it for over a year without being worried I would either wet the chair or have to jump out. Please tell me if this is a good plan or not. I 'm thinking of learning how to sew so I can make appropriate clothing. Can you imagine if I became a fashion designer specifically designing stylish clothes fo incontinent women? Then I would market them as regular clothes and everyone would be wearing them so we could blend in. Hey, I'm finding this problem requires alot of creativity and humor!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:59 am 

Rocketman,

Thank you for the info on the depend adjustables. I think LtsofQues questioned these in another index forum. Can you suggest something that might work for her?

LstofQues,

You should be able to see a urologist for about $150.00. $700.00 sounds outrageous! By the sound of your post, you're doing well finding what is right for you. Sandy is a lot of help for the females on this site who need advise.
Your plan to wear a taped diaper brief during your visit to stylist is a good ideal. Peace of mind is what I really like having in situations like that. No need to worry about leaks with the right diaper on.
Good luck on the sewing. It sounds like a great ideal. Just don't forget about us when you get that designer line going!

Post subject: Thanks again
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:13 am 

Thanks again. I thought that these depends were opening with tapes but what they actually are is a pullup with adjustable tapes. They say they are for moderate to heavy incontinence. I'll bet the people who make these products don't need to use them. I guess I will find some use for them and keep experimenting. What's frustrating to me is sometimes, like to day I was very over protected. Do you ever worry about someone hearing the crinkle? I guess my new motto is better safe than sorry and I don't think I am as noticed as what I was worried about. I still have concerns but I guess people are not paying as much attention to me as I once believed. Yesterday in the aisle at Walgreens I noticed a couple of people, teenaged boys actually, looking at my purchase, but if they are so interested in a stranger's underwear than they may have a bigger problem than I do! I looked on line for some protection options and we are very lucky to have the internet for this kind of shopping. Some of the companies will send samples to try there product. I'll just have to find what works best and expect some days to be better than others. It makes me feel alot better to be getting some new clothes. I can't afford them all at once but at least I have some shopping to look forward to.

Post subject: Thanks rocketman
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:16 am 

Thanks. I thought these had tapes but are actually like a pull up with adjustable tapes. Oh well, I'll find a routine eventually.

Post subject: Pull ups and noise
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:44 am 

LstofQues,

I tried those depends with the adustable fit tapes. I thought they fit me all wrong. I really did not like the prortection they offered either.

As far as the crinkle some diapers make, if it causes me a problem, I just wear a pair of underware over them, or a pair of plastic pants. If I'm wearing jeans, you really can't hear the crinkle. At work, I wear slacks, not jeans, and the crinkle sound does come through if the office is real quiet. Usually though, it's pretty noisey with office sounds all around.

As I've told you before, LstofQues, the sample pack that some internet sites have is a great ideal. My suggestion, is try HDIS. They have a "pull-up" sample package that has a very good variety of types.

I still buy my pull-ups at Rite-Aid. I get the best deal for price and value of their product there. Sure, every now and then there is someone in line in front of me or in back of me that may notice I'm buying adult diapers. I just shrug it off believing that they really don't notice or don't care. If someone would happen to snicker at me, I doubt I really would care. It's no big deal. Anyways, good luck finding the right pill-up diaper. Need any advise, let us know!! ........Paul Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:11 am 

Sorry, I don't have a better recommendation. From personal experience, I just know that those darn Depends have a tendency to leak if you flood them. I guess I should try something else too! But, like LtsofQues, I am sometimes hesitant to go with a big old diaper... :oops:

Post subject: You were right
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:28 am 

You both were right about this product. The think is I thought the tapes came apart but its just a pull up with adjustable tapes. I haven't had a flood with these and just can use a pad in addition since its convenient but it may not stand up to a gush and at work changing would be very inconvenient. This is what I did when I had friends over on Friday night and I don't think they noticed anything different about me. I haven't had friends over for almost a year, but now I am much more at ease.The cost of this adds up and I'm basically using them as an insurance policy except when and after I excercise which is when more protection is necessary, the same is true for school which I'm considering wearing skirts to for more coverage. This won't work for the gym. Has anyone ever tried prevail products? They have protective underwear that you don't have to remove shoes and clothes to change but I'm not sure if they work. They also have those liners Sandy mention which you can add for extra protection. One thing that this discussion has helped me with is that I was so hung up on what the products were called but now I have decided it doesn't matter. For example, products that are called pullups or protective underwear I have found are not the most convenient or work the best is what I was stuck on because I was leary of anything that was called a diaper because of the stigma. Now I have decided that it doesn't matter what they call it as long as it works for me and saves me from a bad situation. It is much more discreet to use something with tapes than to have to be noticed taking your shoes off in a public restroom at work. I will have to thank you guys again for that. Some friends of mine are probably going to take a short trip this summer to an undecided location so it may be on a plane or a road trip depending on the location. I would like to go so that will most likely be the next big challenge I deal with. Thanks again.

Post subject: forum
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:28 pm 

Hi all have been on this forum and really enjoy it.My personal history started a few yrs ago bph which caused incontinence being older was sure hard to adjust to sill trying to get the right diapers for nightime as mine is up and down with leaking problems and depends dosen't do the job for me.Alwaws like the info onthis site.

Post subject: Started school today
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:00 pm 

I started school tonight. I feel like I kind of chickened out because I went to registration and was able to switch my two classes to internet classes. I will still have to go to a testing center to take tests and some quizzes. I won't be able to take every class as an internet class but at least with only going there for tests I will have less to sit through in school. I felt very unprepared as far as what to do about my protection and this will give me some time to work it out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next