www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:36 pm 

So, I guess you've probably heard about the astronaut who was arrested. One thing that interested me was the news coverage of the fact that she was wearing diapers so that she wouldn't have to stop on her drive. One of the headlines even referred to her as a "Diaper-wearing Astronaut."

I guess the thing that got me was the way it was used. It was almost like they were saying "Yes, kidnapping, attempted murder...but you know what makes her really sick?"

Thoughts, concerns?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:06 pm 

Hi Rocketman I got a little humor from the story but don't astronauts wear diapers of some sort in space?She must have paid attention to some of the training.Ha Thanks Ron

Post subject: Indeed
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:42 pm 

Indeed astronauts do wear diapers. During launch and re-entry because of the stress placed on your body by getting blasted into orbit and coming back down. Also during space walks, because you can't just run back in and undo your spacesuit!

But it is interesting that what many people have latched onto in this story is the diapers. Rosie O'Donnell said on "The View" that the diapers were the first clue something was wrong. Really? The tip off wasn't the kidnapping and murder plot?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:03 pm 

Hi Rocketman yes all the attention was put on the diaper wearing.Just think for a min how do the reps and senators get through the filbusters nothing is ever said this.HA RON

Post subject: Diaper stigma continues
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:34 am 
Ron and Rocketman,
I'm late adding to your good comments because I've been offline for many months :(

The news media is just so lop sided and always looking for a sensational "extra" to add interest or zing to a story. You guys are right on that the criminal charges are the main things in the story but what gets dragged out is the diaper wear---which is a nothing. Astronauts do wear diapers for practical needs and a long drive without stopping is a practical need and there should be NOTHING newsworthy about that.

But sadly, with the news media, any twist to a story is going to get exploited. Those of us wearing diapers continue to face stigma in this society. :evil: