www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sleep study
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:39 pm 

So, in about 3 weeks I am having a sleep study done. I've had this done before but that was probably 5 to 7 years ago now. It was before I had as many issues as I have now. Now, I don't always wet when I sleep but I will often wake up around 3 am, wet and roll over and go back to sleep. Also, I never really make it to the bathroom in the morning without flooding my diaper. That happens so often that I just gave up on it really. But I'm going to sleeping in a strange bed with people watching me and hooked up to a machine watching my brain waves and my sleep patterns and all that. So, I need to make sure that I am covered and take precautions. I don't want to run the risk of leaking on their bed. What I'm thinking I might do is grab one of my old night time cloth weight diapers and plastic pants and use that to make sure I am adequately covered so I know I won't leak. I will have my own private bathroom so I could try to make it to the bathroom in the morning before I flood the diaper. And I will have the day off after the sleep study so if I need to wash the cloth diaper I could do that right away too. Just wanted to bounce this off all of you and get your input.

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise." -
Gore Vidal

Post subject: Re: Sleep study
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:15 pm 

Hi, msshendo. That sounds like a workable plan. When I had my sleep study a couple of months after my stroke, I was so afraid of wetting the bed that I didn't sleep at all and the data was useless.

Wetters

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:21 pm 

Are you having this done in hospital? If so, I expect they are used to leaks and things and won't be bothered in the slightest. Beds will be covered and the bedding going in the wash after you have done the study.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:37 pm 

It is a subset of the local hospital so the staff will be professional. I plan on letting them know ahead of time that I suffer urinary incontinence so they can take appropriate precautions. I just wanted to bounce ideas off of here if I should take extra precautions on my side or my normal night time routine?

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise." -
Gore Vidal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:06 pm 

Mine was done at a clinic owned & operated by my HMO. I was too embarrassed to tell them that I have a bedwetting history. In addition, most of the electrodes and wires were on my head, but some were on my chest and a couple in my groin and inner thigh. I was worried that wetness would short out the lower body ones and that I'd get injured, or worse, and I couldn't ask about it!

Wetters

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:53 pm 

Wetters, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm beyond the embarrasment of not telling them. (I hope) I figure I can tell the medical professionals about what I deal with. Especially if I'm going to be dealing with it overnight.

Gore Vidal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:36 pm 

I had a sleep study once and I hated it. This stupid little Russian guy kept coming into the room saying "Time for your nap G" in an unbelievably infantile voice. I felt like asking him for a Pamper (no incontinence issues at the time) and binkie. Gad I hated that sleep test.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:38 pm 

I did a sleep study a week ago for severe sleep apnea. I had a private room with a private attached bathroom. The monitoring wires wouldn't be easy to unhook once hooked up so I wore a good high capacity diaper and didn't worry about it until morning when the test finished.

The staff was very professional and didn't worry about it. All of the beds had vinyl covered mattresses so leaks wouldn't matter. They have to change the bedding for each patient anyway.

Don't worry about it and try to get a good night sleep in a foreign bad.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:50 pm 

msshendo, I'm glad that you are thinking ahead so that you will get the most benefit from your sleep study.

I, too, had a private room with a bathroom (it was just like a hotel room - it had a TV, table & chairs, and a bureau). It was very comfortable, but there was no way I was going to have a wet night with a young, attractive Asian guy in attendance.

Wetters

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:03 am 

If you know the cloth diaper and plastic pants will definitely keep you dry then wear them. You will be in PJs and nothing will show. They will not even know. You have to get a good nights sleep to make the test work so wear what you need to so you are not worried about the wetting. It is what it is, you wear diapers, certainly they have seen that before. Good luck! Papa