www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi folks!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:30 am 

For different reasons it's been quite some time since I've had the oppertunity to visit this site and catch up on the experiences everyone goes thru with having incontinence for whatever reasons they do. Seems things are a little quiter on the forum now than they used to be...maybe more people are coming to grips with doing what they must to keep life as normal as they can? I'd like to think so since we do what we must and go on living our lives the best we can. I learned many years ago to not care too much what anyone else may think if they should know as long as I'm happy and comfortable.

Because of diabetes, wearing an abdominal belt almost 24/7 for unrepairable umbelical hernias, and taking Furosemide to control fluid buildup in my leg (broke badly on a motorcycle and the diabetes), I have very little control over my bladder...when it wants to dump, it does and quickly too. I wear Depends because they are fairly cheap, readily available and they mostly work for me. I can get coupons from thier website and most area stores like FoodLion or Kmart have them on sale all the time. The best? probably not, but they work for me and I can afford them without taking out a loan so these are what I use. I do double them up, and by this I mean I use a pullup-type with slits cut in it under the "overnite" taped kind and this works 98% of the time. I just wasn't happy with the booster-type pads since they never stay where I put them in the diaper. My wife started buying me the stretchy cotton panties many years ago to wear over the diapers and this keeps the noise level to a minimum without having a "too bulky" appearance. Does this bother me? Not in the least actually. What I wear under my street clothes is my business alone, and if it works...which it does, then I'm going with it no matter what someone may think if they should find out, but this is me. We all have tried many brands, types and ways to deal with it and those that have dealt with it for years know what works best for them.
Some of us have and will wear diapers for a very long time and once you discover what works for you, and come to grips with the fact the need outweighs everything else, you'll begin to enjoy life again as you are supposed to. I have no problem buying my diapers at stores where I might run into someone I know. I need them, the store sells them, and in most cases nobody even notices what is in my cart. I tried ordering them thru the internet but UPS left them at the gate since my wife and I are commuters, and someone stole them...imagine their surprise huh?
I'm over 50 and still work 10 hours a day as a facility manager, spend my summers riding motorcycles with my wife and friends, boating with my family, and the winters ATVing in the mountains with the family. This issue just ain't going to slow me down and it shouldn't slow you down either. Life is just too short to spend it being concerned over what someone might think if they find out you have a diaper on, 99% really don't care...really.
You learn pretty quickly what you need to do to deal with incontinence in most situations without being real obvious. An example would be we all have a readily available supply of those plastic grocery bags and they make great disposal bags for a soiled diaper, double them up if you need to, I'm sure you got plenty under the sink. Nobody really pays attention to you carrying one to the waste container wherever you might be.
My point is think about your problem and possible ways to deal with it...you better than anyone will already know many of the answers you are looking for in your own situation. Don't let it consume you though, life is going to go on and your going to be part of it... so make the best of it by accepting the cards you have been dealt and get on with living a normal life the best you can...you'll be surprised how normal that can really be.

Have a great Christmas everyone...I know I will!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:58 am 
Admin

Hello JC

Welcome back to the site! :D

What you said was wonderfull and I fully agree with you.

Thankyou for posting it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:12 pm 

Hi JC I saw your post and agree with it 100%,my incon started awhile back tried to keep it under wraps but decided not to let it control my life.I just delt with it was not easy but accidents were very upsetting to ego,sill not easy.Thanks