www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:30 pm 

Hi all, my first time here. My name is Gary and I'm 40 yrs old. I just recently started to wet day and night. i went to the urologist 2 days ago to see what was happening and found out that i have a urinary tract and prostate infection. The dr. said my urethra is pretty scarred from the infection. He put me on bactrim for the infection and avodart to shrink my prostate. I'm having a hard time coming to grips with this as i never had any medical problems in my life till now. can anyone give me any idea how long before i regain control of my bladder? and also how do you cope with having to go to work wearing diapers? I have been off work for the last month as I am in the national guard and just returned from iraq. I have 90 days before i have to go back to work but i was planning on going back the week after next but dont know how im going to with having to wear diapers. I can only hope this will be cleared up by then.
thank you Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:04 am 

Gary2,
Depending on the nature and requirements of your employment, incontinence can be an embarrassing hassle, or it can force you to seek employment elsewhere, and everything in between. And, the initial shock can leave you winded and unable to cope. Your situation may not be permanent, in which case you may not need to leave the service. Ask your urologist about using external catheters, such as Mentor, and disposables such as Abena and Molicare. If you have delayed treatment so long that incontinence promises to be permanent, washables, though initially expensive, are by far the cheaper solution, and they give greater nighttime security. Meanwhile, without excessive self-pity, you need to inform everybody, family, co-workers, bosses, and friends, who may be affected by your incontinence, about your needs. This may mean merely that they should expect you to need extra time in the bathroom. You should think about purchasing a medium-to-large size gym bag and filling it with the supplies you need when you are away from home: pre-moistened wipes, extra disposables, plastic bags with twist-ties for the disposal of used diapers, cornstarch powder, zinc oxide ointment, and disposable gloves, if your situation forces you to accept assistance occasionally. Good luck. Carl

Post subject: update
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:34 am 

Hi all, I had to go back to the urologist today because last night i started urinating alot of blood. he said he thinks its interstitial cystitis where theres ulcers in the lining of the bladder. tomorrow he is going to do a Cystoscopy and see whats going on in my bladder. Thanks for the help and advice.

Post subject: cysto
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:47 am 
Admin

Hello Gary2

I hope they find out what is going on and get you fixed up soon.
Im sure that they will not redeploy you until you get your infections cleared up. I too was in the military and was on the list to be deployed to the first Gulf War back in 1991. Because of my bladder problem, I wasnt allowed to go over there.

Ive had a lot of urinary tract infections (UTI) over the years and some of them ive had bleeding. with me its been some tiny capilary vein that was bleeding. Nothing serious. I hope thats the same with yours and it clears up soon.

Please let us know what your Cystoscope and your dr finds out.