www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jogging and Excercising
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:25 pm 

I am in a very awkward position. I am turning 38 and recently while jogging, I have been experiencing small versions of incontinence. I am training to go into law enforcement and I cannot express the ... Does anyone have advice, I am without insurance at this time due to the high cost. Thank you so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:09 pm 

Hello and welcome.

It can feel quite humiliating when you first start to experience incontinence, but the feeling does pass. As far as your problem goes, it depends on what you mean by "minor." Assuming it's a minor leak, you can probably get by with a small pad like Depend Guards for Men. Very discrete, and no one will know (it'll feel like they do, but they don't).

At least until you get insurance and you can get it checked out.

Post subject: Jogging
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:48 pm 

Thanks Rocketman, only I am not sure a man undergarment would work, I am female. Ha, you would have not known. Minor as in what you described. I am going to try a feminine pad not depends type first and see how that goes.
What causes this to happen? Age? weak muscles? are there excerices I can try? I thank you for replying, I was beginning to wonder if anyone had anything to say. I know there are many as me who go through this. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:08 pm 

Oops, my bad! :oops: Sorry about getting your gender wrong. I, of course, have no experience with more female oriented products since I am a man.

As far as what causes it...couldn't say. Everybody is different. I've never had a cause pinpointed and have gotten answers ranging from stress or depression to MS (luckily the MS turned out not to be true). Today I've got a lower back MRI as I also have pain symptoms. My neurologist thinks that the leg pain and incontinence could be caused by something there. There are exercises called Kegel exercises that have helped many people (but again, not everybody and I think it may depend largely on what is causing this for you).

Your age should not be an issue. Age does not cause incontinence, though sometimes medical conditions that can come with age may. Though at your age (or mine at 32), it should especially not be a problem.

Do you have children, especially recently? That can be an issue for some women when it comes to incontinence.

Bottom line though is that it's impossible for me to say. I'm not a doctor, and even if I was, this is just an internet message board :) . Remember though that no matter what, incontinence should not stop you from doing anything. As you can tell just from this board, there are a bunch of us out there of any age who manage to lead normal, active lives!

Post subject: Leaking while jogging
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:03 am 

Hi lcpanam,

I am a male, but I wish to comment on your saying:

<I am going to try a feminine pad not depends type first and see how that goes. >

I've read, probably at a website selling incon items, that menstral pads are very poor for incon since they are not specifically designed to absorb urine. So I would say you need to look into discreet incon products and Poise is one good name with a good selection and, I believe, they are intended primarily for females.

Good luck and thank you for posting to our forum!
Joe K