www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Disposable disposal?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:08 am 

Okay, I have a good system of disposal for when I travel, which is about 50% of the time. Planes, airports, hotels, restaurants are all real easy for me. I have yet to figure out how to handle the disposal issue at home. After 5+ years the issue isn't going away, so I might as well do something about it. I'm open to any suggestions.

Post subject: Re: Disposable disposal?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:16 pm 

I have a large plastic garbage can with a lid. I put a large heavy-duty garbage bag inside it and store my used diapers there until garbage collection day. I then tie the garbage bag up and put it out on the curb for pick-up. I've been doing this for years with no problems.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:18 am 

I am thinking the volume of diapers is what sets the home environment apart from the travel environment. When traveling or away from home, disposal is just a few diapers at time so doesn't become an issue.

At home, the volume of diapers is much greater with disposal usually being only weekly (at best) for those with trash pick up. Others have to carry garbage to a dump facility and that may only be every other week. The volume (and weight) of the diapers can certainly be a considerable part of your garbage to be carried to the dump.

I'd suggest a diaper pail of some sort....Rubbermaid offers quite a few containers with lids. Pick one that you can line with a plastic bag and when full, is still a size / weight bag you can pick up and carry easily. The location of this diaper pail may be a problem; bathroom? utility or mud room? basement? garage? outdoors? It needs to be somewhat handy for disposing of diapers as they come off, along with being handy for lugging the full bag to another area until time to carry the accumulated full bags to a final disposal site, ie the curbside pick up or dumpster or trek to the dump.

I'd think a small diaper pail, something not much bigger than a five gallon bucket, lined with a plastic bag, be located in the bathroom linen closet and kept odor free with a spray when each diaper is added. When a bag is full, it is tied off securely and carried to the "garbage area" where ever that is for your household. From there the diaper bags go out for collection or into the vehicle for the trip to the dump.

I suppose it wouldn't be such an issue if used diapers weren't so heavy and didn't have an odor problem. There are odor killing sprays to help hold down offensive odor, but the only solution to the weight issue is to keep the size of the bags down to something you can carry easily.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:24 am 

I have a Baby Trend Diaper Champ that I keep in my closet. It keeps the smells away and uses regular trash bags. It has worked well for me, however, I wish it was a bit larger. I have the older model that has a flip top with a piston that I purchased used from Craigslist. I just drop the soiled diaper in the opening, flip the top and the piston pushes it into the bin - no air transfer. Because adult sized diapers are larger, it is sometimes necessary to 'help' the piston by pushing instead of relying on just gravity. Because of this, I would not suggest buying the new model Diaper Champ, because there is no access to the piston. So if the diaper gets stuck, there isn't a way push on the piston.

There is also a diaper pail called a Diaper Dekor XL. Apparently they come in two sizes. The XL is larger and more appropriate for adult diapers - larger opening and more storage. These diaper pails require special liners in order to work. While this would probably work better, it could possibly be a more costly option.

Regardless of the disposal method, I've found that using even the best diaper pail, after a few days, cannot contain the odor and the diapers have to go outside. (Too bad adult disposable diapers don't contain odor like baby disposables!)

Best of luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:05 am 

I have a small plastic trash can in the bathroom. Supermarket bags fit nicely, and don't fall down, due to the size and shape of the trash can. The can holds exactly five used adult diapers, plus assorted other non-recyclable trash. Because it holds so few used diapers, that's my incentive to take the bag to the Dumpster before it gets too full and starts to ... well, you know.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:33 pm 

Back when i was in the "prime" of my incon problems.. when my trash volume got to be too much in my own garbage (my family shares a garbage can with my grandma) what we did was take a garbage can that was just for diapers and took it to my other grandma's house so it would be taken with her garbage can.. so it might help to have a garbage can just for diapers.. as well as an in-house wastebasket just for diapers...all for now

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:16 am 

I have used everything from diaper champ, diaper genie, to diaper dekor. I will say i like the Dekor the best but lately and since I have owned my own home i have used the regular trash can I use about 5 diapers a day and only urinary IC and never had a smell issue but will say if i have the accidental bowel accident I will tie it up in a plastic shopping bag and place in normal trash can. As much as i liked the Diaper Dekor I am done buying special liners I live alone and really don't care what is in my trash. Now if you live with someone or care about having diapers in your normal trash can I would recomend the diaper dekor system it workes well no matter the size of the diaper it works. good luck hope this helps

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:57 pm 
Admin

I am in the same boat as you jarhead, I live alone too, and have never had issue with using the kitchen can, it is more then big enough, and it goes out every 3-4 days at the longest, never had anyone say anything about any odors either, but if I know co. is coming over, I will take it out, Puffy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:36 pm 

My wife and I have recently downsized to an apartment. This has made my morning diaper disposal much less of a problem. Now all I have to do each morning is walk my kitchen catcher bag of disposable(s) down the hall and drop them down the garbage chute. They only thing I try to do is to take some other garbage with me, incase I meet a nosy neighbour on the way.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:06 am 

Hi All

I have a Sangenic diaper disposal bin in my bathroom saves a lot of hassle.

Greenbank