www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:51 pm 

I'm new to being totally in a wheel chair, but not new to incontinence. I use to always get up in the middle of the night To change my diaper. Even though it will hold throughout the night I don't like waking up in the morning with a very heavy smelly diaper on. But, it's hard to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night now. I take all my braces off before I go to bed so transferring to the chair is hard...it's just way to complicated! Once I lay down, I'm down for the night. So, how do I keep up
The middle of the night changes? I don't want to just change in bed and leave a dirty diaper out all night. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:28 am 
Admin

Hi FlaGirl. I hope you are doing better since your incident at the store. I'm sure the majority of people took pity on you. Kids will laugh at things they don't understand. I have leaked in public. Its miserable. I had a bowel accident in my car and it traveled out the diaper and up my back. This was on my way to school and I had no change of clothes. I had to go to the store with fecal up my back and I just wore a jacket. I know I wasn't pleasant to be around. It was highly embarassing. I am not in a wheelchair though. If you were to look at me, you would never know I suffer from bladder and bowel incon issues. But alas, these are the hands I was dealt. Diapers are a part of my life and I'm grateful they exist.

As for your other topic, can you put a small diaper pail next to your bed at night to throw used diapers in? That way you don't have to get out of bed? Thankfully, I'm not familiar with the challenges of being wheelchair bound. I thank God for that. But I do have other challenges. I have a severe mental disability and also have breathing problems at night. I sleep on oxygen through a nasal cannula. I also take psychotropic medications that cause me to pass out at night. I sleep wet the diaper every night because I physically cannot get out of bed. I find it better if I wake up to have a new Abena M4 close by and I change in bed. I toss the diaper in a pail and roll over and go back to sleep. Overall, its not too bad. Its just a thought.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:40 am 

I agree with Don on this one. That is what I did. It is a lot easier when you can toss it in and roll over to go back to sleep.

Doug

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:45 am 

I wonder whether you've tried one of the really heavy-duty diapers, such as the Level 4 Abena or Dry 24/7. These diapers hold enough that they can absorb a full night's output of urine without becoming soggy. Finding a diaper that you're comfortable wearing all night is by far the simplest solution to your problem, and you might also end up getting a more restful night's sleep.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:03 pm 

I'm wondering, Flagrl, if you use a good diaper cover...such as even vinyl or rubber bloomers over a heavy diaper + inserts at night?

Such covering, in addition to waterproofing, offers some measure of odor-proofing, too. But the rubber or vinyl pants should go a long way toward keeping the bed dry. Probably even a good idea for times when you are out and might just have been what would have contained your B & B accident in the supermarket line. Might be called "over engineering", but it's something I do often.

I understand your issues with disability and your use of a wheelchair and leg braces. Long before I had my own incontinence issues, I dated a woman who had polio as an infant. She had the same problems at night after her braces came off...simply getting to the toilet to change. She relied on very heavy protection then with a diaper cover always. She wanted to get thru the night without losing sleep and soaking the bed...so she was very well padded then.

Hang in there. A number of us have 'been there' and can relate.

John.

Last edited by john1050 on Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:38 pm 

Finding a heavier diaper with a proper fit is imperative. There are some top of the line diapers that will spring a leak on me 50% of the time or better. Others I've never had a single problem with leaking. Covers will help mitigate any issues, but really it's all about the shape of the diaper and how it fits your body.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:19 pm 

Thanks guys! I ware Abena M4 at night and if I sleep through the night it will hold,I just hate the feeling Of waking up with this heavy diaper full of urine on me. If I get one change in then it feels much better. I think il try buying another pail for next to the bed. I've been wearing tranquility overnight pullons during the day, they absorb a lot but not enough...perhaps it's time to think about using the m4 all day. They are just so bulky though and much harder to hide. I also struggle with the tabs because of poor dexterity...but it may be worth it if it avoids accidents!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:43 pm 
Admin

Hello again FlaGirl,

I highly recommend the Abena Extra. It absorbs 3-4 good wettings before needing to be changed. It will out perform the majority of pullups that I can think of. I wear it as my daily use diaper. I wear Abena M4 at night. I think the extra is called the M3 now. They are thin and discrete under all my clothing. I wear them underneath business suits and they function just fine. I have never had anyone out me while wearing one. With their thin, discreet features, you don't get that dreaded diaper butt look that everyone fears. I have never had a problem with them. I get about 4-5 hours out of them and I wet heavily from urge incontinence and bladder hyperactivity. I also have occasional bowel incon issues and they perform well in that respect too. So I can't complain. But I highly recommend them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:09 pm 

Hello. I'm also disabled and need a wheelchair. I am unable to transfer Myself though and need My husband and or nurse to help with that. I'm semi quadraplegic and have very little control over any aspect of My body. We use the Tranquility ATN or Secure Xplus overnight style diapers with booster pads to get Me through the night. Also We use a bed incontinence pad incase of leaks. Most nights this works without too many leaks. My husband checks on Me at least once in the middle of the night. I need My blood pressure etc monitored as well. Only if I am extremely wet or have had a bowel event do we change the diaper during the night.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:27 am 

Inconinmiss wrote:
I wonder whether you've tried one of the really heavy-duty diapers, such as the Level 4 Abena or Dry 24/7. These diapers hold enough that they can absorb a full night's output of urine without becoming soggy. Finding a diaper that you're comfortable wearing all night is by far the simplest solution to your problem, and you might also end up getting a more restful night's sleep.

I have worn the Dry 24/7 for nearly a year now and absolutely love their absorbancy during the day use (have worn 10 hours with no leaks). However, they have problems at night, especially if your are a side sleeper. I have to make a conscious effort to try and sleep on my back which will work most of the time. At night I have even worn plastic pants in addition to the diaper but have still leaked. If possible, you may want to look at cloth diapers for night time use which is what I am currently looking into (as far as which is better, where and who is best to get them from, etc)