www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:51 am 

Hope all who celebrate had a happy Thanksgiving. As I was cleaning up a major fecal IC disaster this morning and grumbling about how bad it was to have to do it after a large Thanksgiving meal (think corn casserole), it occurred to me that it was a small price to pay for spending time with family yesterday and being blessed with so much good food.

I've realized over the past few years that my perspective has changed in so many ways. I was happy a couple weeks ago to tell my wife that I woke up dry, as if that is a milestone (notwithstanding the fact that I flooded as soon as I stood up and started moving!). A good day for me used to be when I made a big sale, had an major call at the FD, etc. Now a good day is one I don't mess my diaper in the morning, or when I find a good sale on disposables and can stock up. It is now an accomplishment when I can string together several nights of not leaking in bed and not having to do extra laundry. I am exceedingly grateful that my ever more frequent fecal issues are almost exclusively in the morning. I am thankful that I am dealing with this in the information age where I can commiserate with others dealing with the same things via amazing sites like this. You all have helped me learn, grow, and "get on with my life" more than you could ever know.

While I grew up in cloth diapers and plastic pants at night (until middle school) and would prefer them at night now, I am grateful I have quality disposable options that some of you didn't have in the past. While I have occasionally worn cloth out and about, I can't imagine what some of you had to go through dealing with bulky cloth diapers as your only viable option. I am thankful that I have the products to be quite discrete when necessary, but also have the support from family and the amazing people on here that has given me the gumption to be able to deal with issues, accidents, and changing in public places when discretion is virtually impossible.

Thank you all for your dedication to this site and to helping others on their respective IC journeys. You truly do make a difference.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:43 am 

I agree. This is an excellent post. Incontinence is such an individual experience that we all will have different styles and policies for dealing with it. But dealing with it we must, and this is an excellent resource for that. Bravo.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:36 pm 

Patrick wrote:
I agree. This is an excellent post. Incontinence is such an individual experience that we all will have different styles and policies for dealing with it. But dealing with it we must, and this is an excellent resource for that. Bravo.

I agree the journey I am on might be different however the commonality of incontinence unites us all here as we negotiate our way through everything.

Great post wish the internet was around when my journey started would have been so much easier!

For those celebrating thanksgiving have a good one from here on the other side of the Atlantic!

Greenbank

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:59 pm 

Well said, all of you. My IC is different, too. Yet I have learned so much here from others, and on occasion, I get to explain something to a newcomer.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:20 pm 

I don't know how I would have negotiated my change to IC two years ago without the help of this site. Thanks to everyone past and present for their advice.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:12 am 

Great post, 5bugles. I had a bowel accident yesterday morning, but that is the exception.

I frequently say "be thankful for your diapers. Think how difficult life would be without them."

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:19 pm 

JDinVirginia wrote:

I frequently say "be thankful for your diapers. Think how difficult life would be without them."

That's a great perspective! Again, thank you all for your commitment to this site and to helping others! It is great to see some of the same people here that were on board when I discovered this site (you guys are rock stars!), as well as new people.