www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Job
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:42 pm 

I know that here in the USA, by law we do not have to disclose any health issue or disability to a new employer. My question is though, when would be the best time to disclose our incontinence if we feel we need to for either an accommodation or just for general flexibility. Perhaps you need to be closer to a restroom or maybe you travel a lot and need to make frequent stops.
Would it be best to disclose the need during the interview process? Maybe during the orientation process? How about during the job offer?

What are your thoughts or experiences?

Post subject: Re: New Job
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:11 pm 

I guess the answer would depend on the job, and your management skills. Some jobs are more compatible with incontinence management than others. Covid 19 has forced many folks to work from home, where, I hope, bathroom facilities are available. Other jobs, not so much. Jobs with high profiles that function in public may be less incontinent friendly. The ADA is useful, but you do not want to have to invoke it, if you can. As for telling or not telling, you may never need to cross that bridge if it is incontinent friendly. If you feel that you must explain your situation, try to do it in a way that minimizes their discomfort and does not subject you to charges of hypochondria. Good luck and keep us informed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:41 am 

Rope, I would not want to risk being hired by a disgruntled employer who suspected me of having "hidden" an adverse condition. Therefore, I would disclose it during the interview process.

A professional Human Resources representative should appreciate the honesty of the disclosure and (hopefully) would assist with any reasonable accommodations. For example, in a previous instance (I forget the details), the Human Resources office found a locker where the new employee could store incontinent supplies and even arranged for access to a private restroom. :D

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:35 am 

I found this website the other day. Some great videos and information.

https://askjan.org/topics/disetiq.cfm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:05 pm 

Hi, Rope. Best wishes for your new endeavors! Daytime incontinence didn't become an issue for me until I had a stroke, which happened well after I started working for my husband in our home office. But if I needed to confront the issue today, I agree that disclosure depends upon the nature of the job - as well as the severity of your incontinence and how well the best absorbent underwear you've tried routinely performs. If you will have autonomy to use an easily-accessible restroom whenever you need to w/out arranging for someone to cover for you, your voids are moderate and your protection up to the task, you may not need to disclose @all. However, if like me you have a high urine output (I have Diabetes), you likely will need to let them know that you wear diapers and will need the restroom more often than average, but that your need for special accommodation won't interfere w/your job performance. It is a desk job or something else that's not 50 feet in the air most of the time, right?! I don't think I'd tell them right out of the gate. No sense in giving out TMI if you don't make the first cut. Of course I'm going to caution you against cutting back on water consumption in any scenario.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:34 pm 

Greetings, my friend! As someone who hires, I would appreciate knowing up front. IC issues shouldn't cause a big concern from an accommodation standpoint, and other employees wouldn't need to know.

On another note, it's been too long. Would love to chat and catch up sometime.