www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:23 am 

Papa,....you don't have to stop at one package of those "special" diapers that you like so much. I'm sure you can sign up for auto delivery if you want. Just a little humor here, it was a big decision for me just buy a few solid color of blue plastic pants. I am very set in my ways when it comes to certain things......I guess that means I'm plain vanilla. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:52 am 

Hi Johnstone,

I guess I'm pretty plain vanilla myself when it comes to white diapers, but when it comes to plastic pants......a long time ago I found it was beneficial to concealment to have plastic pants in the same color as the shorts I wore. I am a cloth diaper wearer and enjoy the comfort of shorts in the summer but the up leg peeks show the white plastic pants so easily.

So, blue plastic pants when wearing blue shorts and red plastic for red shorts and so on. It is a real help when you are seated in the bleachers and have no way to prevent the up shorts peeks!

On St Patrick's Day I have green tee shirts for wear under a green outer shirt and I get a secret chuckle out of being able to say "Yep, I'm wearing my green underwear today".....which includes green plastic pants over my diapers, which no one can see, but I know they are there and I get a smile out of it!

Joe Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:21 am 

JoeK,

I like the comfort of cloth diapers too, but I don't like the bulk during the day when I'm out and about. How do you manage to conceal the bulk?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:12 am 

During the week as I work, I only wear disposable diapers since I don't have a way to discretly store my wet diapers. I do, though, wear cloth diapers on weekends. I wear diapers that are not a "nightime" diaper that are a little thinner, but enough protection for a couple of wettings. I know my wife sometimes comments that my behind has some bulges in it, but she knows what to look for. Anybody walking down the street are not looking at my behind and don't think nothing of it.
A flat style diaper is going to bunch up between your legs. I do have a few diapers that are pull-on type and have less bulk there. .........Paul Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:56 pm 

I would think contour diapers would be the best for day wear when your out and about because they don't bunch up between the legs and have less bulk. I'm in the process of buying some pull-on cloth diapers for night use. I've been using the pre-fold cloth diapers for night and I would like to get away from using pins, velcro, and snaps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:04 pm 

Amazingly I can wear cloth diapers under my jeans and have never had a comment or stare - to my knowledge. Summer is easier with loose shorts and slacks and long Tommy- Bahama type shirts. The big problem is what Paul said about what to do with a wet cloth diaper. I don't wear cloth if I know I am going out for a long time. But a good disposable can swell up pretty good and cause concern but can be disposed of and the problem of carrying it around is more easily remedied. Diapers of all kinds are still a burden that has to be dealt with. Papa

Post subject: Cloth diaper bulk
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:47 am 

Papa and Paul Martin said it well....cloth doesn't "have to show" in that we can wear a lighter diaper by day......certainly a night diaper can not be effectively concealed by normal clothes. Even a light pin on diaper needs the relaxed fit of casual dress.

A pull on diaper lacks absorbancy but a cloth baby diaper inserted into it helps a whole lot. And for a hy-bred, I've had great success with disposable baby diapers-size 6, inserted into my cloth pull on diaper. I can even wear shorts with no one noticing my somewhat puffy rear end, to borrow from our member "Puff". Even with shorts, a long tee worn out and hanging down does wonders to make the diaper disappear with shorts or jeans.

Papa points out the burden of disposing of diapers in a change....I think disposing a baby disposable is a bit easier due to its small size and you see baby diapers in any trash can. Fresh ones are smaller to stash in a pocket or back pack for changes. A size 6 lasts me a good 4 hours and often more....with one diaper change I can be away from home for 8-10 hours and still have the comfort of cloth and leak protection of waterproof pants during that time.

It's quick and easy to whip out the wet baby diaper and slide a new one in and I've done it road side, concealed by my car, doing the change on the passenger side. I keep the used baby diaper of course, until I get home or some other place with trash recepticals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:24 pm 

Papa wrote:
DJ and Don, We all can loose ourselves under the stress of incontinence. Our perspective on life changes and that is not good or right. I know I have at times punched walls in frustration or stayed home from some event or gathering because of having to wear diapers. It was easier to just stay home and avoid the hassle and possible embarrassment that could occur. It takes courage and planning and time to "go forth" with trying to live the life around us. "Loosing friends..." That hit home. It made me stop and think. 1968...I was the "old man" in my Company in Vietnam (I was 21) and around me were 18 and 19 year olds who would never have kids leave alone get married. "Kids" who lost arms and legs and worst. (Death I learned was NOT the worst thing that could happen to you.) Now I fear leaking out more than I feared walking point. Perspectives...what has happened to me? Reading the posts has made me stop and think. My late wife one easter took some old ugly 18" tree looking thing from the basement that had been given her as some modern decoration. I asked her "do you really like that thing?" She said no...but! She loved to decorate for any holiday. By the time I got home from work that night the "Ugly thing" had been transformed into a laughable "Easter Bush" with cheap flashing carrots and little bunnies and eggs and other gaudy ornaments. The look on my face made her laugh. I turned to her with some stupid look on my face and she said to me "Paul, I have decided that if it makes me smile...I will buy it. Since her death I have lost her spirit and sometimes childish enthusiasm. Signally she was the brightest person I ever met. Her intellect though never interfered with her love of life and her ability and strength to be spontaneous and fun. The cancer took 2 years to take her and yet till the end she did not let the Chemo, radiation, meds, and knowledge of her impending death take away her spirit. I, we all, need to remember perspective. Teddy Bears? What ever? I am going to try to remember her words..."If it makes you smile...buy it!" Papa

Sat here with a tear in my eye, right on Papa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:28 pm 

Papa wrote:
Paul, Her three strongest mantras were 1. Always do the right thing! 2. Never stop learning. and 3. Always take a book with you where ever you go. I am proud that both our sons have lived up to her expectations. One went on to Business school and got his MBA. The second went to law school and is now not only a lawyer but an ADA (Assistant DA). Both carry a book everywhere and both are men i am proud of.
My oldest quit his job (at 37) to spend time with his 3 children and wife. He was making upper 6 figures and when he announced his leaving the company said they would push his salary to 7 figures and make him CIO of the company. He said "Thank you...but No Thank you." He is a saver and not a spender as is my daughter in law. You would think she would have flipped out but she actually says having him home is something she loves. He will go back to work some day but wants to run an Iron Man and write a book first. I wish I had been able to follow in his foot steps. He has his mothers' brains and attitude on life. MY other son is divorced because his ex a Malaysian wife, of Chinese decent, cheated on him 13 months after they got married. It has scared him but he is also a wonderful person - presently in China for the wedding of a friend. I have 3 Grand kids by my oldest - the latest - a girl - is a dead ringer for my wife and her mind and attitude is scary. When i look into her eyes it is haunting because the last time i saw them I was closing them witht my fingers in a hospital room - my wife's eyes. Papa

...now you're just destroying me.......god damn emotions.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:35 pm 

I have been very pleased with the comfort of the one tape diapers from ABU and wear them almost exclusively. But, I admit it would be embarrassing to wear to the doctor so I maintain a vanilla collection for those occasions. I have also begun wearing their reversable pants which are the best I have found. They work great for both cloth or disposable.
Rick

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next