www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ProSkin Accreditation
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:25 pm 

Some may have noticed that some TENA products have started to show the "ProSkin" accreditation on their packaging. After some digging, it seems that this is rooted in https://skinhealthalliance.org/ claiming "Independent dermatological accreditation of leading brands giving consumers confidence in their buying choices with the reassurance that products have been independently verified as skin safe". In addition to TENA, other vendors including Pampers and Secret have "achieved accreditation".

This might clear up some of the confusion. Some have asked if the same TENA product (like the Super) without the ProSkin was the same as the product listing ProSkin. I believe they are and that this probably just represents a change in packaging since TENA has "achieved" accreditation. Since companies don't like to be left out, I suspect many more will be joining accreditation later as they achieve it. Comments?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:59 pm 

I would like to read Proskin's credentials.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:43 am 

I know very little about this stuff, but their website states
Quote:
Our dermatological accreditation starts with a scientific review performed by our team of independent dermatologists. This is a professional analysis of a product’s research including a thorough assessment of the ingredients, clinical trials data and proof of efficacy. Once accreditation is awarded we then implement an annual licensing agreement.
and
Quote:
As an authority in dermatological research we present at international skin conferences and have papers published in the world’s leading medical and scientific journals. As our work is impartial and professionally presented it is often brought to public attention through the media. In turn our accredited brands are often able to use our research paper findings as a platform for highlighting their own product’s science and benefits.
As to the credentials of the scientists, they don't say. I'll bet none are IC.
They also have a fluffy video here https://www.youtube.com/embed/NA-lr0UMxC4?autoplay=1.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:58 pm 

Don't want to sound to much like a Debbie Downer or Doubting Thomas, but the only claim I saw on their site was:
Giving consumers confidence in their buying choices with the reassurance that products have been independently verified as skin safe.
I could not find any criteria on their site that a product needed to meet to be declared "Skin Safe" by their experts.
What does "Skin Safe" really mean? Looked more like a marketing ploy and gimmick.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:45 am 

As I quoted earlier they also claim
Quote:
Our dermatological accreditation starts with a scientific review performed by our team of independent dermatologists. This is a professional analysis of a product’s research including a thorough assessment of the ingredients, clinical trials data and proof of efficacy. Once accreditation is awarded we then implement an annual licensing agreement.
In the end, it is agreed that their goal is definitely geared towards "Giving consumers confidence in their buying choices with the reassurance that products have been independently verified as skin safe."

I don't see this being useful to me. I was curious to understand why (NA) TENA Super was being sold as TENA Super and as TENA ProSkin Super. As far as I can tell, it's just timing: earlier packaged product vs current product with accreditation.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:33 pm 

If my experience in the hi-tech world is at all relatable, this means nothing. Such organizations exist purely for marketing purposes. If your company pays the invoice, you are "accredited:".
The following comes from the web site:
Quote:
"Our dermatological accreditation starts with a scientific review performed by our team of independent dermatologists. This is a professional analysis of a product’s research including a thorough assessment of the ingredients, clinical trials data and proof of efficacy. Once accreditation is awarded we then implement an annual licensing agreement."

The underline is mine- it highlights the important part, an annual invoice.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:28 am 

Yes, indeed!

I think this effort makes more sense for parents who look after those who can't speak for themselves (babies). However, TENA must think there is some marketing advantage to this.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:31 am 

Well - I think every manufacturer needs its "quality seal" purely for marketing reasons. After Attends started with it, Essety had to have one as well...

I think the only difference is, that at least Attends Deutschland GmbH was "serious" about it... They started years ago to commission clinical studies in Germany to prove the advantages of their products. These were also comparative studies with other products. Probably someone sued them for it - in any case, another institute now does it for them. That awards the "proderm" seal.

At least they are a bit more precise about what and how they test…:

https://www.proderm.de/en/consumer-care ... e-products