Switch to full style
Disposables or cloth diapers? And why?
Post a reply

The things that I look forward to now

Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:43 am

Since I am enjoying the comfort of my first cloth diaper these days, I have decided to order another.

Last year, if you asked me if I would ever be looking forward to a UPS delivery of a cloth diaper, I would have had a resounding answer of "no". But here I am today, waiting for the imminent arrival of a cloth diaper order. I am going to give this InControl fitted diaper a try. That'll bring my fitted diaper count up to two, so that I can wash them together and have a backup. I am also receiving some stainless steel diaper pins in this order.

I don't need to tell you how perverse this feels.

https://incontroldiapers.com/incontrol-fitted-nighttime-cloth-diaper-white/
Attachments
InControl-Nighttime-Fitted-Diaper-closed__01797.1609358814.jpg

Re: The things that I look forward to now

Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:23 pm

Perverse? Yes indeed. However, when cloth gives you the comfort and security unavailable elsewhere, go for it. Typically I wear disposables when I'm out and about; switching to cloth when I arrive home can be a huge relief. Bravo.

Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:46 pm

Welcome to the club, I always prefer cloth. It is far more comfortable and I actually forget I am wearing one and just get on with life.

Paul Henry

Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:08 pm

I have to agree on the comfort so far. Cloth sure beats wearing sawdust.

Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:40 pm

Update:

After washing these, I was very shocked at how large and puffy these became. These are the largest diapers I have ever worn. I wondered if the need for large plastic pants over a medium diaper was a bit exaggerated. I see now that they weren't kidding. Thankfully the only person that sees me in them is my wife, in my "puffy PJ pants".

I ordered the "small-medium" size, which is a barely suitable for my waist line. If I order them again, I'll get the "medium-large" size. Those are likely larger still!

The outer layer is cotton, but the label says that the inner layer is some kind of polyester fiber for further absorbency. Comfort wise, they seem ok apart from the bulk.

Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:31 am

Do recall that, with cloth diapers, bulk = absorbency. Over time you will become accustomed to the bulk.

If you are a side-sleeper, cloth diapers are your safest option to avoid a leak at night. Plastic pants are, of course, necessary.

Like Patrick, I wore disposables during most days, except when I stayed home. I wore cloth when I stayed home and always at night. At night I wore a heavy pin-on diaper with a cloth booster pad.

In the long run, cloth diapers are the least expensive option. :D

--John (double incontinent)

Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:10 pm

JD, for me the cloth is for the overnight protection only. Most mornings I awake dry but I need that protection for the few times that I don't. Each dry morning saves me uber-$ because there is no washing required (or disposable to discard), except for the usual weekly wash. Waking dry also saves me a lot of effort. Otherwise you could say that no relief goes unpunished!
Over time you will become accustomed to the bulk.

I trust that to be true. Even by morning, the diaper doesn't seem as bulky somehow. But when it came out of the dryer, it was a "whoa!" moment.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:21 pm

The outer layer is cotton, but the label says that the inner layer is some kind of polyester fiber for further absorbency.

I ordered a couple velcro fitted diapers from Kins a while back. One type they have is full layers of cotton and flannel. That works ok. The other advertised as bigger and more absorbent, sounds similar to what you have. Absolutely garbage IMO. Might as well wear a strainer to bed.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:18 pm

The problem with man-made fabrics such as polyester, nylon, and rayon, is that they repel moisture, rather than absorbing it, like cotton. Although moisture repellence is useful for some applications, I have found that it does not work for diapers.

Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:26 pm

Agree. I've seen microfiber and polyester fluff stuffed pullups and Velcro closure diapers...none were worth the bother and most more expensive than prefolds.
My experience got me to 100% cotton twill or birdseye prefolds. Gauze is really good too but wears out quicker than other two fabrics. Tried flannel a long time ago and found it did not absorb as well and took longer to dry. Velcro is convenient, but it wears out and gets "clogged" up with bits of fiber.
Good luck with experimenting. I haven't heard anyone that has been around the forum for awhile using reusable protection that hasn't eventually wound up with cotton prefolds and stuffers. I'd be very open to hearing about someone finding a magical fabric that outperforms 100% cotton.
Good luck with experimenting. In the end you just need to find something that works for your situation.
Post a reply