www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:12 pm 

My foray into cloth for night time is working out fairly well so far. Since I seldom have an overnight episode I save the cost of a disposable every morning that I awake dry, with only the regular cost of washing once a week (barring accidents).

Now I am starting to think that I might be able to do similar for home/office using the "KINS PULL-ON ADULT COTTON DIAPER 10700" https://ca.babykins.com/collections/adult-cloth-diapers. For away from home, I'll continue to use my regular disposables.

I am hoping to hear some opinions about these. It's obviously not going to offer the same protection level as the "Adult Cloth Diaper (DPF) with Extra Thick Padding 11500" that I have read about.

My main questions about the 10700 are:

• how bulky are these? They appear to be manageable for day wear.
  • how much absorbency can you expect? Full void, 50% or ?
  • I suspect these need extra support when wet (will jockey shorts do?)

I wear accident protection pull-up for home and office and maybe experience a fail once/twice a week. On Saturdays and other long outings i usually switch to a Molicare Mobile or Abena pull-up. But for home/office, are these practical? If I could make these work, I could probably eliminate most of my daily disposables.

Attachments:
10700B_e40841bc-eb14-4e59-904d-e9cc7317f2ba_2048x2048.jpg
10700B_e40841bc-eb14-4e59-904d-e9cc7317f2ba_2048x2048.jpg [ 58.7 KiB | Viewed 3145 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:59 pm 

Per the website you will have to wear a waterproof diaper cover (i.e. plastic/PUL pants) so that is going to add some bulk, cost, and complication when changing. In addition sewn cotton diapers with multiple layers tend to take a very long time to dry throughly and you might find that it really runs up the associated costs due to greater clothes dryer usage. Their add-in pads also tend to be quite expensive but you could use an alternative like the Walmart 100% cotton "Flour Sack Towels" (actually just thin cloths - !0 for $10) folded into a multi layer pad. If you find you need more absorbency you can easily just fold two (or more) together. The good thing about these is not only the price but since they are actually only a single layer when unfolded they dry very quickly. As always when dealing with incontinence what works for one doesn't for another so in almost all cases you will have to try them for yourself to see how well they work for you.

Last edited by Padded53 on Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:58 pm 

I did have a pair , and although convenient tend to be bulky and do take a long time to dry which also makes the elastic stretch making them loose over time. The fabric also doesn't last as long , as other options. Just my experience.

Paul Henry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:40 pm 

Kins diapers are made mostly of flannel. Flannel takes longer to dry and feels wet when only slightly damp. Twill and birdseye cloth is more comfortable and absorbent. Cloth pullups are not very change friendly. You have to remove pants.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:12 pm 

Thanks to all for your opinions. The idea I had was that this type of diaper would be easy to still use the toilet. Except for accidents, there would be no more than the usual amount of washing. But bulk is a concern and I was aware of the need for a cover. It's still an idea I may revisit when I semi-retire in the months ahead.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:36 pm 

I think you will find that your specific, and hopefully correctly anticipated daily situation will most often dictate what kind of protection you will need to wear. I've got everything from pads to cheap pull-ups to Mega Max in my diaper cabinet and find that in any given week I tend to use at least a few of every kind of protection I've got.