www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:30 pm 

Forgive my idle curiosity while thinking ahead. Given that my wife heads to bed earlier than I do, I can't see myself lying on the bed to put a prefold diaper on when I turn in. That would just be too embarrassing.

So the question naturally arises: how do you put a prefold on in the bathroom or some other room? It seems to me that putting a prefold on while standing would be some sort of circus trick. What about putting one on while sitting in an office chair or on a toilet?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:56 pm 

I lie on a rubber-backed bathroom rug. I do change leaning against a wall, but my balance makes that stressful, and my physicians have warned me that I could fall.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:21 pm 

I figure that you’re tired of hearing from me, and I don’t generally reply to most conversations unless I feel I have something to add that might be beneficial. So with that, let me add my 2 cents, which isn’t worth much.
I always wear double diapers so I put one on top of the other on a flat surface with the tags at one end (for consistency. I fold the diapers together into 1/3s, the long way and place the folded diapers behind me at my waist and lean against a wall to hold them in place. I then fan the back out with the back corners around at my waist, while keeping the rest folded (held between my legs). I then bring the folded end to the front and pin it appropriately with the front still semi folded. Pin the other side appropriately. By doing this, the pins end up at my pelvic bones, -not- the sides. Also by not unfolding the diaper except at the back, it keeps the diaper trimly fitted without bunches or telltale pin outlines at my hips. After you’ve pinned diapers on long enough, you’ll know how much to unfold the front of the diapers to adequately pin them. The amount of unfolding also varies depending on age, wear, shrink, thickness, even manufacturing lots (size varies lot to lot). I keep diapers paired based on all of these. Night wear are the thickest sets. Day wear are the thinnest, though sometimes I opt to wear a single thick diaper during the day but it never feels comfortable or absorbent enough, especially if I’m outside a lot.
I hardly ever lay or sit down to pin on diapers as they’re never snug enough when I stand, unless my husband helps. He snugs it up well as he pins it, which I can never do well enough laying down.
I hope that you find this a little useful.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:19 pm 

I don't think anyone here tires of hearing from you Ellyn, least of all me. Thanks for that. All of this cloth business is new to me. It's like teaching my son where he can safely place the jack under his unibody construction car the first time. It is basic info for the demonstrator but important for the learner. Next will be the practicing of the necessary skills. :wink:

Thanks Patrick for your reply also. I too have to be careful about balance. There was a time when I could dance around the roof with experimental antennas. That day is long gone. Now I struggle to walk a straight line to the corner store. The neighbours must think I drink a lot.