www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:28 pm 

Wow, so much different opinion on the washing of cloth diapers! My head is spinning after reading so many opinions on how to wash and what detergents to use. Prewash, hot, cold, extra rinses. It is a lot to take in. This reminds me of the brain surgery skit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THNPmhBl-8I

First on my shopping list for this weekend is laundry detergent. The Rearz (at Healthwick.ca) instructions merely states "Prewash in hot water with vinegar. Do not bleach. Machine dry until completely dry to allow for some natural shrinkage (approximately 10%) for the optimal fit." This makes no mention of "washing" instructions. The most common advice is to wash in hot water. Many sites I read say don't machine dry, but this differs.

I'd prefer to hang dry if possible (but not outdoors). In terms of drying time, how long does it take to dry a cloth diaper like the attached? If it is hung up in the basement in the morning, will it be dry by nightfall?

Attachments:
RearzSuperSnap__71623.1465500411.1280.1280_1400x.jpg
RearzSuperSnap__71623.1465500411.1280.1280_1400x.jpg [ 21.93 KiB | Viewed 2113 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:19 pm 

I hang mine up in the evening ( cost less to do laundry after seven pm ) and it is dry by morning. I do have a dehumidifier to keep the basement dry. Hope that helps.

Paul Henry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:40 pm 

Hi Wayne
I think that if you add up all washing suggestions online, on product labels, opinions, the common denominators are hot water and a mild detergent. Additives like borax, vinegar, bleaches, etc are selections that you can experiment with.
Generally, I think that hot water and detergent are basic but depending on your body chemistry, and assuming you don’t experience bowel issues, you may need additives to eliminate bacteria and adjust pH, both of which lead to odor and ultimately skin issues if it gets bad enough!
I always use tide or arm and hammer detergent (switch off) and borax. I generally use Clorox 2 but occasionally use chlorine bleach. I have used vinegar and even a small amount of liquid Lysol. Again, you need to experiment and see what works best for you.
Prewash or even rinse and spin is good.
Wet diapers sitting for several hours, untreated is bad.
Generally chlorine bleach is bad.
Hot dryers are bad, though hanging outside in the sun and wind is generally good.
I don’t usually hang diapers outside but if they get overly dingy (not bright white) I can hang them out and let the sun bleach them. Otherwise I’ll -occasionally- use some chlorine bleach.
Also, I try to dry only to a set point on the dryer dampness setting. I then hang them (slightly damp) on wooden dryer racks in the humidity controlled laundry room to finish drying overnight. If you try to completely dry a prefold diaper, it will take a LONG TIME. The cloth diapers don’t like tumbling a long time in a hot dryer…. It wears them out prematurely and the evidence will be in your lint filter!! Really, hanging outside is best on the material, but not always an option for many reasons.
Don’t over think it. You’ll find what works for you very quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:33 am 

Thanks Paul and Elynn for that. That all seems sensible and certainly not rocket science. :lol: I know we use Tide and Arm and Hammer but without checking (yet), I don't know if the Tide has the additives you are supposed to avoid.