www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:09 pm 

Sorry Wayne!!
Adultclothdiaper.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:14 pm 

No need to apologize! That mistake is easily made. I've booked marked it. Thanks for recommending it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:43 pm 

I received my cloth diaper this week (image attached again here for convenience). The care instructions say to wash 3 times(!). So I did wash them once and just wore them one night with no intention to use. The next day I washed a second time. These take a very long time to dry. On medium heat even after 50 minutes, they are still damp inside. That time I hung them up and left them for another day to dry. So even though they'd only been washed twice, I decided to test them Friday night (rather than get up to use the toilet during the night). This would allow me to sleep in Saturday morning.

A couple of comments first about this particular diaper. I found that even after washing, the medium size seems slightly larger than I expected. This results in the top wings on the front (with snaps) to completely cover the stomach area so that I can snap into the inner most snaps at the center. When lying on my stomach, this is uncomfortable. On the other hand, it does provide some doubling up of diaper at the waist to wick any waist level wetness. If I order another, I am tempted to order a small. Another problem is that the length of the wing underneath is rather long and can get out of place. So I used a safety pin to hold it in place.

I was a little skeptical about its absorbent power going into the test. But I was impressed with the results. With a plastic pant cover and PJ pants, I kept checking for leaks as the night progressed. Not even a hint of a leak on my PJs. This really pleased me. Sleeping in a couple of hours extra, I had voided a bit more and probably reached about the limit for this diaper. There were still no leaks and only a teeny tiny trace of wetness along the waistline around my belly. This was an excellent result. After getting up I had another full void into the toilet, so that helps me to understand about where the limit lies without added boosters.

During the week, I reread parts of the diaper primer and made special note of this useful tidbit (for other rookies to read):
Quote:
Tucking plastic pants up and in (Cloth diapers)
An old-timer provided this tip. She reminded me when we were discussing plastic pants that they need to be deep enough so you can tuck the pants waist band inside your diaper at the waist. Also the crotch width needs to be wide enough to allow tucking the leg bands up inside your diaper as much as possible. I wasn't doing it because I had forgotten that my mom used to tuck my plastic pants like that, but I didn't know why. Therefore it didn't mean anything to me, and that detail drifted away. For those practicing dry-diaper wear (i.e., you change as soon as the diaper gets wet), this is not a necessary step and you probably need not spend the extra time doing it.

Assuming you've pinned on cloth diapers per our suggestions, then tucking the waist is easy because you've pinned below the top of the diapers so sliding the waist band of the plastic pants down inside the top of the diapers is quick and easy. But if you've pinned the lower pin low to form a good snug leg cuff, it will take some effort to push the leg elastics up inside the snug leg cuff you have created with the lower pining. The leg elastics get pushed up your thigh/leg and under the diaper.

When you are done, there will be no plastic-pant elastic bands to seen anyplace, all will have been tucked in. The vinyl-pant material wraps around the edges of the diaper and disappears inside next to your skin. While that elastic can get as wet as it wants, it cannot wick onto your outer clothes. I find a comfort edge to tucking the leg bands; you may find the same thing after you try it. Untucked leg bands on plastic pants tend to ride down the leg slightly, so the plastic pants are covering more leg (thigh) than is actually necessary. I find that gets hot, uncomfortable, and I would find myself sliding the leg bands back up against the diapers repeatedly and with my walking movements the leg bands would tend to slide (or walk) back down. While I know that tighter bands would solve this "problem", I happen to have a real sensitivity to snug elastics and cannot tolerate any excess snugness. After being reminded of the tucking technique, my problem was solved. Tucking the leg bands up captured them between the diaper and my leg and keeping that bit of extra skin exposed right up to the diaper itself makes a big comfort difference to me, and well worth mentioning. If you find plastic pants are "hot", you may find your plastic pants are covering more than your diaper. That will lend a "hot" perception. Tucking the elastic bands will insure the plastic pants cover nothing but your diaper and I think that will increase your comfort level since any skin not covered by the diaper can now "breathe" and stay cool.

Applying what I learned there helped a lot. First of all, this made the diaper feel "as one" rather than as a diaper + plastic pant. I think it was also responsible for why there was no leakage into my PJs, even after the diaper itself became wet. As the note says, the elastics can absorb and transmit wetness to the outside. It won't if the elastic is tucked inside the diaper. The finer points mean so much!

What do I think now?

I have to say I am pleased at the leak-free performance. I am also pleased to note that the comfort of wet cloth far exceeds anything I've experienced in wet disposables. Those two attributes figure high in my books. My wife is not impressed because I am laundering only one diaper at a time (with maybe a towel or two thrown in). I only own one diaper at the moment. And laundry remains a bit of a problem with washing machine use and the time of day (interferes with showers). And the time it takes to dry this particular diaper.

Update:

For now I am going to use cloth for overnight because I now know it has the capacity and be leak free. Every morning that I awake dry is a day that I immediately save $3.30 Cdn. I'll still need to wash it for perspiration weekly if it remains dry but then I can combine laundry with the right detergent. Otherwise, it will be washed as necessary.

Attachments:
RearzSuperSnap__71623.1465500411.1280.1280_1400x.jpg
RearzSuperSnap__71623.1465500411.1280.1280_1400x.jpg [ 21.93 KiB | Viewed 1989 times ]