www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:19 am 

Ya well you know Paul most of the time I'm well stocked but well OOPS!
As I remember we had stayed out longer then we planed to start with which I had enough to handle that. But not when we got stormed in. The good part was we had the island to ourselves for the most part while we were there. You want to try something different try being the only people on an island for a few days it can be very romantic :shock: :P :D but also seem rather strange as well.............Sandy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:21 am 

well you know puddleguy "any port in a storm" :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:22 pm 

I have been doing well sewing my own cloth diapers. Nothing fancy just what works, and it is much less costly than purchasing on line. Besides I can customer fit them to my body type. On line retailers have links for measurements and a good sample goes a long way. I am lucky I do not live far from an actual fabric store that stocks diaper flannel. It takes little time to find the system that works best. A gentlelamn wrote about using terry cloth. That is a good material but not real soft against the skin. I place two layers of fabric store terry cloth between two layers of flannel great absorbancy and soft against skin. It is not real bulky in my opinion just like a pair of men's full cut briefs once pinned on snug just some what thicker. With good plastic pants I wear just about anything I want and I even go to the gym and work in cloth. Hope this helps. Take care! Spend your money on the plastic pants like those from Babykins. Take care
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:49 am 

I've been making my own diapers for several years. I purchased a dozen cloth diapers once and noticed that they would be pretty easy to make so I purchased the necessary material and have been making them ever since. I already had a sewing machine. I use either birdseye weave cotton or heavy flannel to make them. I also used a cottom gauze once but it is difficult to find. I prefer the gauze or birdseye over the flannel but the flannel outlasts the others 2 to 1. I take 2 equal size panels and place a doubled over equal size panel sandwiched down the middle for the soaker so that each diaper is 2 layers thick with 4 layers in the middle. I tried making thicker diapers but they take too-long to dry so I stick with the 2-4-2 diapers and double them up for night use. My homemade diapers are every bit as good as the ones I purchased and they cost me about one-fourth as much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:32 pm 

I agree with you on the cost factor it gets expensive buyin cloth they want $24 - $40 per diaper on line. A home made diaper is just as good if not better. You determine what materials go in and work best and the sizing is customized. I received a sewing machine so it is relatively easy to use. A much better valve if dealing long term.
I have learned that if I do not sew the side ends closed when drying it allows air flow into the soaker/middle padding for quick drying in dryer or on the line. It is just as easy to pin. It may look a mess coming out of the dryer because it turns inside out but not having the layers sewn tight does allow for easy drying. Take care!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:14 am 

Yes the cost of commercially made adult cloth diapers is outragious. I guess it has to do with the fact that adult cloth diapers are a rarity and are not mass produced like cloth baby diapers are. I mean you can buy a dozen prefold baby diapers for less than $15.00. Now figure that an adult size cloth diaper for the sake of argument is 4 times as large as a baby diaper. Provided that the baby and adult diapers are both the same thickness why wouldn't the adult diaper cost only 4 times as much as the baby diaper? Actually the matetial is the only thing that is 4 times as much as the material used for the baby diaper. The labor to produce the adult size diaper is probably only twice of the labot needed to produce the baby size diaper. Realistically adult size cloth diapers should cost no more than say $60.00 a dozen. Sewing them myself is not a difficult task especially when you figure that I can make up a dozen diapers for less than $40 in material.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:04 pm 

I agree completely was your thoughts. I never associated it with baby diapers, but you are right. I can purchase 12 baby diapers as liners for $10-$15.00. Laying out a cloth pre-fold baby diaper is really not that different in sizing as my own. I would imagine MFG purchase the material in bulk therefore cost is somewhat lower. And as far as labor it should be very close to the same. It should not be all that hard for cloth baby diaper MFG to add the same line for adults. Medical supply store should stock cloth adult diaper they do not have expiration dates so storage should not be an issue. There are so many on here and other websites using cloth so there is a market for them. A person choosing cloth as their best system should not be raked over the coals purchasing. i guess it is the laundry cleaning factor that keep so many away from cloth no one wants to be touching a wet cloth diaper. The easy of disposable makes it quick and no mess. I found cloth helped me slow down take time out enjoy what is around me. Taking time to make sure of a comfortable fit comes with cloth. So many times with disposable I was so quick to change i did not get it on correctly than had trouble with the tapes poping. If one can make his/her own cloth it is a great change from disposable.
STeven