www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:43 pm 

I too prefer gauze diapers over any other fabric and have heard great things about the ones from ACD. Diapers made from diaper twill are also very comfortable. I have a couple of the ACD diapers and find them comfortable, but they take too long to dry.

I have developed a technique where the 21"x40" gauze baby diapers available from Granitesmiths Diaper Store on ebay can be made into an adult prefold. The old Gerber flat diaper twill diapers are also well suited to making these adult diapers. Trial and error on the first ones enabled me to master this technique and end up with what looks like a professionaly made adult diaper. These diapers are tailored to fit my waist.

The basic daytime diaper is made using four diapers and the nighttime diaper made using six. These are sewn to make a diaper measuring 28"x 40" (26"x38" after washing) and a 2x4x2 (daytime) or 3x6x3 (nighttime) construction. An additional diaper consisting of four or six flat 21"x40" diapers layed on top of each other and sewn around the edges are placed into the prefold diaper to increase absorbency. Gerber prefold baby diapers available from department stores can be used between the prefold and flat diaper to increase absorbency. The thickness of the final diapers are about the same as the daytime and nighttime diapers from ACD.

Probably the best feature of my technique is the diapers are seperate when washed and dry much quicker than an assembled prefold. They only have to be assembled using an adult prefold, Gerber prefolds, and the flat diaper, then folded and stored away. I can honestly say this is the most comfortable and most absorbent diaper I have ever worn and they will easily last up to three years.

This technique may seem labor entensive but a complete diaper can me made in about 45 minutes. The pattern allows to increase or decrease the width for a custom fit and additional padding can be used as necessary. The best reasons to make my own diapers are the custom fit and the decreased drying time saves money on the electric bill.

Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:40 pm 

RobertC

would it be possible to get a copy of your patterns?Like you, I sew my own diapers.
Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:25 pm 

Hobiecatguy

Several months ago I began to write directions on how to make these diapers along with taking pictures of each step. Like usual, I did not complete this task. I will make an extra effort shortly to complete the directions and get it to all the members who are interested.

RobertC