www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: warning
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:25 am 

Just a warning, Depend refastenables leak and the leg gatherings can wear out if used to long. This could be from figuring that if you just leak you can go very long without changing. Wrong, you will be left with the tell tale signs that you wet yourself, take it from me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:06 am 

Sounds like your learning Depends are Junk! I have found that the briefs don't work to bad if you add a full length booster but then most any cheap diaper will work with a full length booster.

Post subject: I wonder
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:07 am 

I wonder if the people who manufacture these things actually have to wear them. I doubt it because if so they'd do a better job. I think companies should give free products to real life users and design according to their feed back, that would be more practical and save us from humiliating mishaps. When something like this happens, you know people are looking and you wish you were invisible, it somehow seems worse that noone says anything but you can imagine what they think. It's just demeaning.

Post subject: Depends
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:40 pm 

You know, LtsofQues, I think the depend folks realize they have a sub-par product, but they are after the people new to incontinence, and they advertise enough to bring them in. I'll bet they know that most people will try their diapers first and continue to use them until they find a better product. I'll bet most of the folks who use depends don't even go to the internet and look for something better.
Depends have made changes over the years in their diapers, both pull-ups and full brief type diapers.
Your better diapers have a product division that has people testing them to come up with improvements.
On your comment on mishaps, you and I have learned from our accidents. But as best as we try, they're still going to happen(accidents), and we live through them and try to do better the next time that situation arises again. From the way you've been posting, LysofQues, I think you have learned a lot! Good Luck!!! ..................Paul Martin

Post subject: that's too bad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:19 am 

It's too bad that this company seems to setting their consumers up for these situaitions. What if someone new has an accident at work or school and doesn''t know how to deal with it? It's bad enough outside or at the grocery store. In fact I don't know how I would deal with that at work or school. They must know what they are doing and I'm sure I am not the first person to be in this situation. I wonder if depend underwear work any better. I was so self concious before but now I'm surprised that people don't notice what you're wearing even if it looks obvious to you. One thing I have suspected is when you throw these things away in a plastic bag in public restrooms is that some seem to notice but I'm beginning not to notice that either.

Post subject: In Defense
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:27 pm 

I know I'll be alone here, but I've got to do it. I find that the Depend Adjustables fit a niche that nobody else seems to be filling. They are "convertible." You can pull them down to use a toilet, but when it's time to change, you can rip open the sides and fit it on using the tapes as on something that is more of a diaper.

Hey, I'll be the first one out here saying that the legs wear out (they do) and that they're not as absorbent as you'd like (they're not), but until someone else comes out with something like it I'm going to use them.

Post subject: Disposable pull-ups
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:05 am 

Rocketman,
You have a point there. I use to use depends, but now I use a store brand by Rite-Aid called super absorbant. I just wear these on my way to the Y for my early morning swim, but they will hold a lot when you need only light protection for a while. Thanks for you point of view!! .......Paul Martin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:28 am 

Good point, Rocketman, let me join with Paul Martin in thanking you for bringing up the important point that Depend appears to be the only one offering a pull on product that also can be taped on.

Disposable pull on products are wonderful for urge incon. I even think they help address the "diaper or no diaper" decision on any given day. Call it what you will, but many feel wearing a pull on is enough like wearing underwear to go ahead and wear it....whereas if the choice were a diaper, they might pass, figuring they'd be OK for whatever period they were to be out.

I also like point out that pull ons are not intended to get wet....they get heavy and sag since they depend (no pun!) on an elastic waist to hold them up. If you do get a pull on wet and need to change it....it is a royal pain to have to undress (pants and shoes) in order to pull on a dry one.

Depend, as bad as they are, fills that unique nitch that they are a true pull on product that converts to tape on when needed. If they get wet, you have the tapes to refasten and make the fit (when heavy from being wet) better until you get home.

If changing is necessary, that is easily done by tearing the new one open so it can be put on without undressing, just like a tape on diaper would be put on.

It would be wonderful if one of the really good pull ons would come out with such a convertible, but I suspect Depend has the rights sewn up for what ever time a patent allows.

JoeK

Post subject: depends
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:27 pm 

Hi Joe and all yes depends are a weak protection but sometimes I use them for short times because when they cut loose they leak something terrible and I don't need any spot lite on me its like the lady holding a sign saying she has bad bladder.