www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hybrid Leak
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:04 am 

So my go to diaper combo now is a betterdry with a yellow micro fiber towel booster. https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signatu ... 56999.html

It has made this diaper perfect in that it perfectly spreads large voids and allows the full capacity to be realized before a change.

But nothing is perfect. I noticed leaks on my pants and wondered what had caused it as the diaper didn’t feel as though it had leaked. The leg cuff was tight enough. Finally I think I found that it’s the crystals in the diaper near the plastic back sheet. It must be slightly perforating it to cause the leaks. Does anyone have a suggestion? Is this a defect or something to work around with plastic pants? I’d like to avoid adding more layers as it gets hot …

Post subject: Re: Hybrid Leak
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:41 am 

This is quite a coincidence for me as I have recently started using Betterdry occasionally when I need an ultimate protection. I can even wear them overnight. I had mostly avoided trying them because I thought of them as a gimmick diaper since they also print ABDL patterns on them and re label them as the Crinkles brand. I decided to try them though because I've heard many folks on here rave about them. And yeah, they are a pretty good, and comfortable unlike Megamax. But yeah, I think the plastic back might be thinner and could be the reason you noticed the leaks. I don't really have that issue but I probably change before I get to that point. I know you say you don't want to add layers but putting a PUL or Euroflex cover over everything would probably fix that, right?

Also, I'm a huge fan of Microfiber cloth. I also like to use it as a booster like yourself. It's great in cloth diapers too. You can layer it between cotton inserts, and (I think) it makes it more absorbent. Good stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:52 pm 

CityGardener wrote:
This is quite a coincidence for me as I have recently started using Betterdry occasionally when I need an ultimate protection. I can even wear them overnight. I had mostly avoided trying them because I thought of them as a gimmick diaper since they also print ABDL patterns on them and re label them as the Crinkles brand. I decided to try them though because I've heard many folks on here rave about them. And yeah, they are a pretty good, and comfortable unlike Megamax. But yeah, I think the plastic back might be thinner and could be the reason you noticed the leaks. I don't really have that issue but I probably change before I get to that point. I know you say you don't want to add layers but putting a PUL or Euroflex cover over everything would probably fix that, right?

Also, I'm a huge fan of Microfiber cloth. I also like to use it as a booster like yourself. It's great in cloth diapers too. You can layer it between cotton inserts, and (I think) it makes it more absorbent. Good stuff.

You’re the one whose recommendation turned me on to them. They are absolutely incredible and a game changer. I had previously tried the sack cloths from Walmart but somehow I got Uti’s with them and they didn’t help as much as I would have liked. These however are awesome

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:51 am 

Tarlton wrote:
I had previously tried the sack cloths from Walmart but somehow I got Uti’s with them and they didn’t help as much as I would have liked.

I am really surprised to hear that you were having UTI's with the Walmart Flour Sack Cloths (probably from my suggestion). I've been using them for years and never even had a rash much less a UTI. However, as we all know what works for one may not work for another.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:06 am 

Padded53 wrote:
Tarlton wrote:
I had previously tried the sack cloths from Walmart but somehow I got Uti’s with them and they didn’t help as much as I would have liked.

I am really surprised to hear that you were having UTI's with the Walmart Flour Sack Cloths (probably from my suggestion). I've been using them for years and never even had a rash much less a UTI. However, as we all know what works for one may not work for another.

It probably has more to do with my washing machine, perhaps not cleaning the cloths well enough. It could also be the cloth did not allow as much breathability. Both times I got the infection it was because the urine could not exit the urethra into the diaper and instead flowed back. It could be the diaper was too tight to allow movement.

Regardless, I try to keep the front of the diaper pouchy to prevent that presently. So it had less to do with your suggestion being wrong and more with my own mistakes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:46 pm 

Quote:
You’re the one whose recommendation turned me on to them. They are absolutely incredible and a game changer. I had previously tried the sack cloths from Walmart but somehow I got Uti’s with them and they didn’t help as much as I would have liked. These however are awesome

That's awesome! Although I cannot take credit for the idea to start using microfiber boosters. Ellyn who is one of the cloth diaper experts on here, actually first posted about it. Yes, it works really well. I'm happy that this idea has been passed around. I'm currently doing some sewing and incorporating Microfiber layered in between diaper cloth. I'm pretty pleased with it. I noticed some of the things you mentioned about things being too tight. I like that the Microfiber is squishy and allows a bit more freedom of movement. The thin cotton layers allow liquid to stay locked in. I think this works, it's comfortable anyway.