www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:11 am 

What type of incontinence? I am a prostate cancer survivor. I had surgery (a radical prostatectomy) five years ago. The procedure I had was by way of the perineum which simply means the surgeon removed the prostate and surrounding tissue after entering by way of an incision at the perineum area (between the anus and scrotum).

That incision cuts through muscle and nerves before separating the urethra tube to remove the prostate - leaving you incontinent. Over time, about 14 months for me, I was able to strengthen the muscles using a pelvic floor exercise, more commonly called a Kegel exercise. Kegel's consists of repeatedly contracting and relaxing the muscles that form part of the pelvic floor, colloquially referred to as the "Kegel muscles".

Unfortunately (in a relative sort of way) even with the Kegel exercises you do not gain 100% continence. Things (coughing, laughing, physical labor) that cause sudden contractions of stomach muscles or those Kegel muscles can cause leaks. All of this was part of the discussion and decision to go ahead with the surgery.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:39 am 

Welcome CarlWard

That is wonderful surviving cancer.
I had several of my friends that had prostate cancer most of them did not do well it is good to hear someone that is a survivor.
I do have one friend I worked with for some 36yrs ho had prostate cancer and he also had a radical and is still kicking and doing well today.
Being incontinent is a little price to pay especially when so many don’t survive.

I wish you all the best
2lyle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:22 pm 

2lyle wrote:
Welcome CarlWard

That is wonderful surviving cancer.
I had several of my friends that had prostate cancer most of them did not do well it is good to hear someone that is a survivor.
I do have one friend I worked with for some 36yrs ho had prostate cancer and he also had a radical and is still kicking and doing well today.
Being incontinent is a little price to pay especially when so many don’t survive.

I wish you all the best
2lyle

Thank you first for the kind words and wishes. As you've no doubt guessed, incontinence is a "very" small price to pay to see the Sun come up.

CW

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:06 pm 

Carlward, That is great news to hear. Sounds like you went thru a lot and came out if it well.
I keep having high numbers and have had two needle biopsys. So far so good. I go back to my DR next week.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:43 am 

“Hello CarlWard,

It's beautiful to know of people that have survived a prostate cancer. Unfortunately there is still a large number of men that doesn't have your same luck... Those who had underwent a radical prostatectomy are exposed to the risk of becoming incontinent or impotent, or both. Incontinence is a situation that has solution. If pelvic floor exercices doesn't solve incontinence, people find in surgical treatments a good recourse.

Doctors usually place meshes or slings under the urethra to give an extra support and solve incontinence. If surgery is you option, I personally recommend you ask for a readjustable sling, that will adapt to your case whatever your degree of incontinence and can be readjusted to your own situation.

Hope that I had help you and that very soon all your health problems will be absolutely over,

Hugs

Bmorgan”

CarlWard wrote:
What type of incontinence? I am a prostate cancer survivor. I had surgery (a radical prostatectomy) five years ago. The procedure I had was by way of the perineum which simply means the surgeon removed the prostate and surrounding tissue after entering by way of an incision at the perineum area (between the anus and scrotum).

That incision cuts through muscle and nerves before separating the urethra tube to remove the prostate - leaving you incontinent. Over time, about 14 months for me, I was able to strengthen the muscles using a pelvic floor exercise, more commonly called a Kegel exercise. Kegel's consists of repeatedly contracting and relaxing the muscles that form part of the pelvic floor, colloquially referred to as the "Kegel muscles".

Unfortunately (in a relative sort of way) even with the Kegel exercises you do not gain 100% continence. Things (coughing, laughing, physical labor) that cause sudden contractions of stomach muscles or those Kegel muscles can cause leaks. All of this was part of the discussion and decision to go ahead with the surgery.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:00 pm 

So far I'm still waiting for a date I'm have the Da Vinci operation. The whole prostate plus the nerves are coming out. The problem with leaving the nerves behind is there may be cancer on them. This way I will be 100% cancer free!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:14 pm 

Hi all,
4 weeks post surgery and doing well. Everything was contained in the prostate! The prostate was very fragile and took a while to get it out. They took nerves and all. The Urologist told me that cancer can spread down the nerves and that is why they removed them. The lymph glands were clean!
So I am free of cancer and it feels like a big load lifted from me. My operation was robotic and I recommend it. I've had very little pain and only had one morphine shot in the Hospital at the nurses insistence. Then I was on Tylenol and now nothing. When I got home I was filling a diaper up , Abenas, 4 times a day. Now I am using condom catheters. I feel more secure with them. I know I won't leak. Besides my Insurance pays for them. I was incontinent before the operation because of a fall on my back. Now I don't have any feel in my bladder. It just leaks now.