www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Bedwetters
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:30 pm 

He'll grow out of it eventually... most kids do. If he's still doing it at age 11 or 12 you should probably have him checked.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:46 am 

Sandy wrote:

Daniel in a way you are Blessed to have this problem now and not 20 plus years ago. Your choices in protection are WAY :!: Better then what they were when I was your age. Also the acceptance of people with our condition is much better then what it was just a couple of decades ago. Granted there is still a Tabbo about it but it's nothing to what it use to be. When I was your age you never saw a commercial for pull-ups for older children. You could never go into a store like Walmart and find protection that was marketed for children over 100 pounds :shock: My mom had to get all my diapers from a Medical supply drug store. And I'm sure they had to pay through the nose :shock:

Hope to see more of you here........................Sandy :)

And I started having bed wetting problems when I was 25 (that's 40 years ago now) and if you think the products 20 plus years ago were bad try 20 years before that!
Dr's thought it was due to the divorce I was going through. After many years of trying almost everything they finally (1983) determined it was MS. Since then I've actually been pretty stable. Hasn't gotten any better though, but hasn't gotten much worse either.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:18 am 

A late response to Justin with his 4 yo bedwetter....who would now be 5 yo. You said he saw your diapers so you could not lecture him......but I say, why would you want to lecture him? A youngster who wets the bed cannot control his bladder. Most all cases will grow out of it with maturity that provides the signals and controls so he wakes up when needs to pee and can go to the toilet. But until that happens, he is in the same boat with us....no control, we leak and so we do the responsible thing and wear a diaper.

So, until that happens, and it is a time related thing, why put up with wet beds and wet pajamas and the stress of bedwetting and the laundry resulting? When a diaper is such an easy fix? If the youngster will wear a diaper, he will find it is far more comfortable to sleep and awaken in a dry bed with dry pajamas. With dad having to wear diapers, that should remove any stigma the youngster may feel about diapers being "babyish" with him being 5 yo. He is in a lot of company at that age with other kids that wet the bed.

And as mentioned earlier in this thread....if he wears diapers, he is no longer a bed wetter! The bed stays dry. So he is a "sleep wetter" since he wets while asleep....but not a bed wetter due to his wearing protection.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:38 am 

I use a diaper service where I supply the cloth diapers and vinyl plastic pants. The service picks up on Thursdays and drops off the previous weeks supply all fresh and ready to go. I only pay for the volume of diapers laundered each week. The cost is really cheap and very handy to use. Being 24/7 in diapers, I have a good supply of cloth diapers yet never run out. They are much more comfortable and seldom leak overnight.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:07 pm 

bohemian85 wrote:
Hi, I'm fairly new here and just looking for people to talk to. I wet the bed most nights so I'm in nappies every night. The problem is unexplained though, I've seen the doctor, done the tests etc and they have found no cause for the problem. All I know is that as a child I wet the bed quite a lot and also had a lot of daytime accidents. About a year ago I started to wet the bed and thoughout the past year I've found myself having a couple of accidents during the day. I now wear nappies if I'm going on a long journey where there might not be any toilets available, just incase.

Does anybody else here have a similar problem to me?

It is very similar for me. I started with some slight daytime dribbling incontinence about a year ago. This would come and go and then about 7 months ago I woke to find I had wet the bed. I hadn't wet the bed for years although as a child and throughout my teens it was a common occurance. Over the last few months my bedwetting has become much more frequent. and I now wear tena maxi pads at night held in place with net fixing pads. I sleep on a kylie and our bed is protected with a waterproof cover. I am very lucky my wife doesn't see it as a problem and understands as like me she was a late bedwetter when younger.
I have seen a urologist and had all the tests done. Prostate bladder retintion flow tests the lot. and apart from a slightly enlarged prostate and the fact I have diabetes nothing concrete has been found as to why I have some daytime incontinence and wet the bed most nights. Talking to the doctor at the urology clinic and the continence nurse who I now see every cuple of months they both say it is far more common than most people realise.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:23 pm 

I am new here and joined the site looking for a bit of moral support as someone who is only fairly recently incontinent. I am 50 years old and about a year ago I started having some slight daytime dribbling incontinence. Nothing much at the end of the day I would notice my underpants were either a little damp or stained. This would come and go sometime I dribbled and sometimes I didn't. Then about 7 months ago I woke one morning to find I had wet the bed. This was a shock. I hadn't wet the bed for ages. I used to be a chronic wetter as a child and throughout my teens but had been dry at night apart from the odd wet night for close on 30 years. I was very embarrased by the bedwetting episode but my wife was very understanding and said not to worry. Like me she had been a late bedwetter and works with the elderly and has to deal with incontinence every day.
She suggested it was time to see the doctor about this and also put a waterproof cover on our bed and borrowed a kylie from work.
The doctor refered me to a urologist but there was quite a wait for my appointment and during this time the bedwetting became more frequent and I also found my dribbling was more often than it had been.
I saw the continence nurse who asked me to keep a diary of my wetting for a week and then I saw the urologist and since then have had all the usual tests but nothing concrete has been found. I have a slightly enlarged prostate and do have diabetes which is controlled by pills.
7 months down the line I wet most nights and still have daytime continence issues and feel I probably will have to deal with this for the rest of my life. I wear washable inco pants during the day and tena maxi pads at night which for the most part keep me dry.
At first it was quite a shock and very embarrasing but gradually I am getting used to it. I was very embarrased putting my net pants and pad on at night in front of my wife but now it is just part of going to bed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:43 pm 

JoeK wrote:
I fear that plastic pants cannot provide any real leak protection when worn directly over a disposable. I've had countless leaks wearing plastic pants directly over a disposable. Yes, they may prevent a minor leak from the diaper getting your pants or bed wet, but any liquid leaking from the diaper has no way to be absorbed when it is between the waterproof backing of the diaper and the waterproof plastic of the pants and can easily escape past a leg band. (Please note, leg bands should not be uncomfortably tight in any attempt to prevent such a leak).

Plastic pants can provide good protection if you wear cotton underwear over the diaper. The cotton briefs with short legs are ideal since the legs can be pushed up into the crotch of the diaper and be well covered with the plastic pants.

If you don't want that bother, then for good peace of mind when sleeping away from home, bring the disposable bed pads and sleep on top of one, if you (or the sleepwetters) are not restless. Otherwise, you can put the bed pad under the top sheet where it will stay in place better, protecting the mattress while allowing the bottom sheet to get wet, but that's easily laundered.

I agree thats what I do to keep the bed pad in place. I also sometimes use plastic pants when away from home to minimise the risk of leaks. I wear tena maxi pads held in place with net fixing pants or tena pull ups under normal underwear. Wetting my own bed is one thing but the embarrasment of wetting someone elses bed is still too much to bear.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:53 pm 

Daniel wrote:
Im 17 and im still a bedwetter (with some day probs), disposable diapers work for me but its frustrating.

I know just what you are going through I still wet most nights at 17. It was another three years or more before I was reliably dry at night. Sadly due to various reasons I now wet again most nights.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7