www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:20 pm 

So on with the next. Last visit to the Uro and he doubled my dosage of Imipramine from 25 mg once a day to 25 mg twice a day. After the first few days I thought thing were looking good. My dripping had decreased but I was still waking up sometimes 4 times a night to urinate. Then things slowly got worse. My dripping increased to the point that I thought it was "wetting" instead of "dripping". It was more than slight leakage. I had to change clothes when I got home from work. One or two days of that and the dripping tapered off to hardly anything. And a few day later back to wetting. Meanwhile I was still waking up at night 3 to 4 times. And one of the side effects of Imipramine is drowsiness. I put in a call to the Uro to see what I should do. I didn't hear back before the prescription ran out and I did not renew it. Meanwhile I hurt my elbow and went to see my GP. While there she asked how the results of the uro were turning out. I told her my tale of woe with the latest medication and told her I did not refill it. She looked into my records including the records from the urologist and we talked a bit about what was going on. And she came up with Jalyn for me to try. So far it has decreased how many times I wake up at night, but has done nothing for the dripping. Down side so far. I cannot donate blood. (And that is a big deal with me. I have donated for years.) It may decrease my sex drive. Rarely, males may have a painful or prolonged erection lasting 4 or more hours. (I have to laugh at this. Somehow that seems like a contradiction of some sort..) At this point I have a partial win. I am getting sleep at night. I still need to get back in touch with my Urologist to let him know what has transpired...
And on another note. I have tried some products from Wearever. Specifically Wearevers incontinence briefs. Did not work for me. Uncomfortable, leg opening too tight for the given size. Felt like I had a small, rolled up towel between my legs while wearing these. I do not recommend. This is my opinion only. YMMV.

Scott
Scott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:59 am 

hi there! I looked up the drugs you mention - the second one is used for prostate problems - where the prostate increases in size. What I am thinking is that you may well be retaining a fair bit of urine and you have bits of overflow coming out all the time. Did the urologist of the doctor check for this specifically? This can be done with a simple post-void ultrasound scan of the bladder. If that was the case, it would mean you having to fully empty the bladder, possibly with a catheter, or a small surgery to increase the size of the gap through the prostate.

Either way, retaining urine can be quite dangerous so if you haven't be checked for that, see if it can be done. Emptying the bladder properly can leave you free of leaks for hours and might solve you problems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:40 am 

Another update.
For the most part Jalyn is working for me. I sleep at night. Only get up once a night to urinate. So I actually get sleep. Urgency during the day has also dropped off. Which is good also.
However, I still drip. The Uro says I am not retaining fluid. All that seems to be working fine. I just drip. No big deal.
On with the next.

Scott

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:25 am 
Admin

Well, that is at least nice to see a success story on the meds anyhow, any progress is good, as long as you don't suffer from any serious side effects! Thanks for the update, gives us all some hope! At least the drip issue is manageable more so the full blown Urgency! :) Puffy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:26 pm 

Side effects... Yep, we have those. And yes, I do realize it has been almost a month... Been busy... :lol:
Let's see, side effects.
Change or problem with discharge of semen
Check
decreased interest in sexual intercourse
Check
inability to have or keep an erection
Sometimes. Check
loss in sexual ability, desire, drive, or performance
Check
congestion
Check
headache
More often that I usually do, so Check
stuffy nose
Check

So life is not all wonderful here. And the good effects of the drug seem to be diminishing. Where I was only getting up once a night to urinate, I now seem to be getting up two or three times a night to urinate. So I am almost back to the point of where I was before I starting taking this. *sigh*
But life does go on.

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:43 am 

So far .. over the course of several decades or more .. I have had few to any side effects (and I include NO serious skin issues or rashes whatsoever) from wearing absorbent pads and protective overpants .. I had one urologist in Seattle dismiss me VERY sarcastically when I calmly told him that I 'could-live-with' my choice to continue to use absorbent protection .. common courtesy here on this post stops me from writing what I could have told this urologist .. I DID IN FACT write a letter to the hospital telling them my opinion of what he told me ..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:08 am 
Admin

As sad as it is, most Uro's will tell you that absorbant choices are not an acceptable way to deal with waterwork issues, they would rather go the medication route, or surgery, as they get nothing from diaper or pad sales, as simple as that! My Uro never went the conversation route, I left that up to the continence nurse I dealt with, and she was more then supportive of my choices. All I wanted from the Urologist was the testing and cyctoscope to ensure it wasn't anything he could find, which for my case it wasn't, so he did what I needed him to, no opinion needed on how to deal with it. If I wanted his opinion, I would have asked, and I didn't! 8) Puffy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:25 pm 

[quote="Puffy Pants"]As sad as it is, most Uro's will tell you that absorbant choices are not an acceptable way to deal with waterwork issues, they would rather go the medication route, or surgery, as they get nothing from diaper or pad sales, as simple as that! My Uro never went the conversation route, I left that up to the continence nurse I dealt with, and she was more then supportive of my choices. All I wanted from the Urologist was the testing and cyctoscope to ensure it wasn't anything he could find, which for my case it wasn't, so he did what I needed him to, no opinion needed on how to deal with it. If I wanted his opinion, I would have asked, and I didn't! 8) Puffy[/quote]

I am not to this point yet. Currently in between Dr appointments. Trying to let the medication do it's job. (Or not.) But I am glad that the doctors have not found anything seriously wrong with me. But I do continue to leak. More pills. More pads. More "special" underwear. Do Kegels. I guess just keep a stiff upper lip and all that nonsense.
Till later.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:33 pm 

Ok. Been something like 25 days since last post. I continue that slow slide of losing control. I now wear some sort of absorbent pad or underwear every day. And unfortunately for me, there are days when I need to change before the end of the day. But that is not my main issue. I still need to get up at night way too often. Some nights it is only one or two times. But more often it is three or more times. I feel the interrupted sleep is affecting me during the day. I still have about 50 days left on my current prescription. And that does not seem to be working like it did. But off to bed for me now.

Scott

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:26 am 
Admin

Hey ScottK, the night thinG is one of my issues as well, wearing and using at night has made a huge difference with my sleep, at least now I get some! Cutting back on fluids is a help, but I have a headache the next day, so that is no good either. There are several people here that wear at night, and getting a better sleep is one of the main reasons, instead of getting up 3,4,5 times a night, something to think about for sure, Puffy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next