www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:09 am 

My incontience doesn't seem to fit into any of the 'normal' types described, so I can't define it, but only describe it - perhaps somebody could give me some insight?

I have accidents throughout the day, without any warning at all. There are some situations that seem more likely to trigger them - (sound of running water, coming home from a walk, climbing out of bed in the morning if I haven't wet in my sleep (sometimes even if I had), but they also can happen at any other time as well. These aren't litle dribbles - when it happens, it's always a significant amount, and sometimes it's a large flood that would threaten the integrety of the thickest diapers out there. I've had single voids that have been close to (and possibly even more thsn) -two litres- all at once.

It sounds a bit like 'urge' incontinece, except that I don't feel any urge at all before it happens. In fact, I have NO sensation of the need to urinate at all. Also, I often find it difficult to void at the toilet, sometimes as far as being completely unable to do so for days at a time. I sometimes get a painful 'cramping' sensation in my bladder area when I haven't urinated in a while, no doubt from an over-full bladder, but even when this happens I'm often unable to empty my bladder on my own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:51 am 

Pacula,
It sounds like most of you problems are caused by nerves not working properly and the most likely cause is neurogenic bladder. That is a condition where your brain doesn’t send the right signal to your bladder and can cause retention (inability to urinate when your bladder is full) and can also cause you to urinate when you are not expecting to. You might also have a bit of stress incontinence if you wet when walking or getting out of bed. If you haven’t already done so, you need to be checked by a urologist who will most likely also refer you to a neurologist if he thinks a nerve disorder is involved.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:42 pm 

One problem about retaining urine in you bladder is back pressure to your kidneys. My Doctor has me checked out every year to make sure.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:31 pm 

update,
Because i am retaining so much I may have a supra pubic catheter put in. I have another Urodynamic test coming up in two weeks. That will tell if I will or not. My last ultrasound was 500 ml left in the bladder after I tried to go!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:31 am 

I dribble. Some days I dribble a little. Some days I drip more that a little. (For me anyway.) Usually I can tell when I will be needing to urinate before my bladder is full because I start to drip. (Just a little.) After I urinate and I am walking away from the restroom I can drip. And sometimes I drip in between. Sometimes when I move something heavy I will drip. But only sometimes. Sometimes when I cough or sneeze I drip. And yes, I drip at night too. But usually not as much, but since I am asleep I can't really be sure. Frequency can be an issue also. Some days I need to urinate 5 or 6 times through out the day. Other days only 2 or 3 times. Good night I only have to get up once. Rough night I can get up 3 or 4 times. I also sometimes have problems starting urinating. But only sometimes. Seems like my issue is so random that the urologist does not know what to do. He currently has me on 25mg imipramine hcl. Doctor told me that (if I remember correctly) "relax the bladder neck and tighten the sphincter a bit". My initial response after the first 30 days is that it is not helping. But it might be and it is keeping me from getting worse. The other drugs my regular doctor tried did not do anything except give me side effects. So there I am. Next appointment is on the 8th of this month. I will see what the next step is.

Scott

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:12 am 

Hi Scott,
To me I would be checked for a Neurogenic bladder. Your dripping could be overflow incontinence. I was going sometimes twice an hour, then I would skip an hour and go. All I know was I was a slave to the bathroom and that was no kind of life.
I failed my Urodynamic test a few weeks ago. She kept asking me if I needed to go and I said no. The next thing I felt was severe pressure. She stopped the test at once. All I got out was about 50ml out. She took almost 1000 ml out of me. Needless to say I had a Foley in when I left. It sounds like you need to find a different Urologist. I had to, and I'm glad I did. The best Urologist's are connected with a University usually. I go to a SIU University Urology Department. They can do a lot of testing in house including the Urodynamic test, bladder ultrasound, Scoping your bladder and biopsy. IF your Urologist doesn't have equipment like that move on! Where I go, the head of Urology did my prostate operation.
Do you have a lot of uti's?? Your kidneys are going to get damaged if you get back pressure in your bladder. It may be time to straight cath because you are not emptying all the way when you go.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:10 am 

Next check up is Tuesday the 8th. So far the Uro I am going to listens to me and is working with me. So I will stay the course at this time. What I need is a way to get a good nights sleep. Then everything else will seem better...

Scott

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:36 am 

Scott,
Are you using any protection at all? You sound like me! I started in diapers and that was costing too much. So I had my Urologist give me a prescription for condom catheters. They worked great for me. Then my Neurogenic bladder got worse and now I'm in a Foley.. I am sleeping fine. I had more problems with diapers leaking at night. The condom catheter solved that problem, and he nice thing was my Insurance paid for all my supplies. It's funny that Insurance Companies will pay for cathing supplies, but won't cover diapers????
I hope your Urologist does a bladder ultrasound, and schedule for a Urodynamic study. A lot of your problems could be caused by your prostate. That is where mine started. Keep watch on yours! I'm a prostate cancer survivor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:29 pm 

At this time I just have a small leakage problem some of the time. And that I have to wake up three and sometimes four times a night to urinate. But not every night. At least I am waking up for this. I will see what the doctor has to say Tuesday.

Scott

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:09 pm 

Scott,
That is very wise! I think your leakage problem is due to overflow. I was only able to hold a stream for about 10 seconds, then it reduced to about 6 seconds. !/2 hour later I was going again! My Urologist did a Urodynamic Study on me. that is the only way to tell if your problem is nerve related. They will have you go, then cath you to see how much you are holding. Holding urine too long will cause an infection.
Good Luck and let me know. If he doesn't mention a urodynamic test mention it to him.