www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:02 am 

Last night I had the worst IC ever! I was having frequent need to use the toilet yesterday. So as a precaution, I wore plastic pants over my pull-up that I wear during the day and overnight when I went to bed. I woke up wet and not wanting to wake my wife (who was up last night and just fallen back to sleep), I stayed in bed. But the urges to pee kept coming and coming. By the time I did get out of bed, I was soaked inside and out (plastic pants don't help much when the insides are no longer absorbing). Even then, I probably gave another litre to the toilet.

So I goggled this morning and it appears that OAB and tomatoes don't go together well. I've been eating tomato sandwiches the last couple of days and had a bit of birthday cake with artificial sweeteners. A friend gave me some tomatoes from his farm and my wife can't eat them. So I've done my best to use them up.

I've always made frequent visits to the bathroom but yesterday seemed worse. I've started a bladder diary so I can track how many times/day I have to go (I need to answer "do I have both urge + OAB?"). By keeping ahead of the "urge" I can usually maintain continence during the day and most nights. But the frequency has become a a problem. The only thing that is new is the tomato sandwiches!

Update
I see some related forum posts here:

Quote:
@Rope_Wrench ...I would begin trying one thing I had cut out and checked to see if there was any change. This process took a long time but I learned what my trigger foods were and how each made me feel. For example, anything with tomato or tomato products were a major trigger for burning pain. 

Quote:
@Noe Coffee, tea, soda, and alcohol show up on lists of things to eliminate because they are known bladder irritants. But lots of things are bladder irritants. ... Tomatoes and tomato juice

On coffee, I like Puffy Pants reply:
Quote:
Nope, nope nope... NOT giving up my coffee for anything, sorry!

Ya, I'd have a hard time with that.

Has anyone else anything to add?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:29 pm 

During the day, I try to urinate before my bladder has accumulated enough to give me the signal it's time to go. At night I rely on heavy cloth diapers and polyurethane over pants. I still have occasional leakage, for which I rely on a large washable bed pad.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:56 pm 

Quote:
During the day, I try to urinate before my bladder has accumulated enough to give me the signal it's time to go

That is my home/office normal. Sometimes the calls come "close" and sometimes I fail (like at a drive thru if they take too long).

Quote:
At night I rely on heavy cloth diapers and polyurethane over pants.

That seems sensible. I've not reached that point yet and try to get up in the night instead.

Quote:
I still have occasional leakage, for which I rely on a large washable bed pad.

I also use a washable bed pad and it has proven itself useful. I suppose leakage overnight is difficult to completely avoid.

I've pondered the overnight use of a diaper like the MegaMax but so far I have resisted due to the added monthly cost.