www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 2:38 pm 

I am new too incontinence and wondered if anyone has experienced something similar. I had prostate cancer and had my prostate removed and then it came back and went through radiation 7 years ago. I had no problem till I started developing scar tissue and my bladder neck narrowed. Had incisions done on my bladder neck 4 months ago and if I am standing or active am totally incontinent. If I am sitting or laying or sleeping I do not leak. The other issue that is becoming more frequent is after sleeping or sitting for couple of hours I become blocked and have to cath myself to urinate. Use to just be Once every couple of days and now it is averaging about 2 times a day. My urologist that did the surgery says this makes no sense and doesn't want to deal with it and said come back in six months. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate your thoughts
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 5:41 pm 

I am a prostate cancer survivor myself but my continence did not return after the prostatectomy and the catheter removal.
I am sorry to hear that you are having these symptoms and are faced with a surgeon who isn't any help.
It sounds like you are managing a combination of incontinence and obstruction. Could it be overflow incontinence because the scarring is back?
Have you thought about a second opinion?

Just a thought.
My two cents.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 6:56 am 

The bladder neck surgery is called a sphincterotomy; I had that decades ago, and it needs to be repeated. If scar tissue is blocking the channel for you, your post reads as though that might need to be removed. Your sphincterotomy may need to be repeated too, and the channel opened, before the situation does real damage to your bladder and kidneys. Good luck and report back when you can.