www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Urge Incontinence
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:05 pm 

If you have urge incontinence, has it changed since it started?

When mine started I had 3-5 minutes before I started leaking and the urgency wasn't dire until several minutes after the initial urge. After a couple decades I have less than a minute from the initial urge until I start wetting. The urgency has also changed. I go from, "oh I need to pee" to "I have to pee now!" in 10-15 seconds.

Post subject: Re: Urge Incontinence
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:10 pm 

Mine has been similar to yours with the exception that it has taken me around six years to get to the one minute or less stage. In addition I have a lot of "after dribble" which can take 3-4 minutes to completely stop. Several years ago I just totally stopped trying to second guess how much protection I might need that day and now just go with full tape-up style diapers 24/7. Once I did that it removed a huge amount of stress and anxiety.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:38 pm 

You've just described my issues. :P

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:08 pm 

When my incontinence got more serious about a year ago, the urge gave me several minutes to get to the bathroom. Now, sometimes, I know about the "urge" when I have the sensation that I have already started. It has become worse since I am having to take a diuretic to control the edema in my feet and lower legs. For the first 5-6 hours after taking the diuretic I must wear some seriously thick diapers to handle the urine production, and change them every 2+/- hours. Cloth and PUL pants are handling the challenge.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:01 am 

@Stan

Yikes! I feel ya, the doc has me on a water pill now too that I'm trying manage the change to my habits. Stay strong, you've got this!

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:06 pm 

I have the same pattern as you but to a lesser degree (or an earlier stage?). When mine started, I had 15 minutes before the disaster (usually enough time to find a bathroom). I could manage it with pads designed for men. Now, I start leaking 5 minutes after the need and of, course, accidents occur more often. I manage it with pants during the day (briefs for long drives). During the night, I need better protection, so I wear briefs (plastic backing) and they are always wet in the morning. I fear I’m slightly going to the “I have to pee now” stage.
Do you think there are differences in urgency causes according to gender?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:21 pm 

Cant address the gender issue. If a plastic backed brief (diaper) works for you at night, that's great. I am a side sleeper and most of my output missed the absorbent polymer. Adding inserts helped some but the real solution required a cloth diaper over the disposable and plastic pants over the whole mess. Fortunately (?) my problem seems to have its origin in my spine and I don't have much muscle tone in my bladder wall; I mostly drain by gravity. So leaks are slower when lying down.

We just have to "keep on, keeping on".

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:33 pm 

You’re right, Stan. Everyone has to find what suits her/him better. I sleep on my back so diapers work best. I prefer when leaks guards are higher. When I drank a lot before sleeping, I add a booster pad.

(A spade is a spade, so let’s call briefs diapers :wink: )

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:58 pm 

Stan / Mr. Robin:
Try using a cotton pad instead of a disposable booster pad, you will be amazed at how quickly the pad will absorb the liquid and distribute it to the rest of the diaper. I can almost guarantee that you will see a huge reduction in leaks. I use WalMart Flour Sack Towels (actually just thin cotton cloths) that are 28'x28" and fold them into 12 layer pads and insert into my night diaper. They only cost $8.00 for ten and I simply rinse them out in the morning and then put them into the wash when convenient. You won't believe how well this hybrid system works!

Last edited by Padded53 on Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:14 am 

My incontinence is a combination of urge, stress, and overflow. When I feel the urge, I have little time to get to a bathroom. If I do feel a slight urge, it's not long before it becomes more intense. I begin to slowly leak which turns into a steady stream. Stress can occur from just a slight bending, twisting, lifting. Overflow is due to my retention. Many times I don't sense that my bladder is filling until I start to void. Now that I have heart failure, and am encouraged by my cardiologist to drink 4 liters of water per day; well, you can pretty much guess what that does for my incontinence issues. I have gone from 1-2 diapers per day to 3-4. BUT, I'm still alive!