www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Urge Incontinence
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:38 pm 

For me the urgency has unfortunately gotten worse with age and childbirth. I attribute it to pelvic floor dysfunction. My urge incontinence is pretty bad now. I 've tried the meds and the side effects are worse than the relief that I get from them.
Depending on what I eat or drink, I can go from 0 to 100 within 5-10min. If I feel the urge to use the toilet, I start to look for a toilet. Its less of a problem when I am at home. However, I still wear protection because I may be caught outside working on the garden. I always wear protection when I am out and I have added boosters for added protection.
I don't know if others with urge incontinence would describe their symptoms the same as me. For me the urges are so intense that I feel like my muscles just give out. I slowly start to leak as I go to the bathroom and the urgency becomes exponentially worse and becomes a full bladder void at its worst. Early on I would get frustrated about why I couldn't hold it in longer. I was frustrated that I just needed to squeeze harder or do something to keep it in. I would try breathing exercises as I went to the toilet. I would try to talk to myself to reassure myself that I would make it. The words of self-reinforcement didn't help. Telling myself it was just a leak was never true. It was never just a leak unfortunately, it was more often a larger accident than that. Now I just try to do my best to make it and if I don't, I am ok because I am prepared.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:52 am 

Because I have a neurogenic bladder, I guess you could describe it as urge incontinence. When I can, I try to use the toilet as often as I can, because, if I wait for the urge to come, I will be in pain, and leakage will start. Often this is just a few ounces, but I still need to wear protection.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:41 pm 

Sometimes I try to tighten my muscles and see if I can control the leakage but it doesn't do any good and often I don't get any feeling of urgency until after I start to leak.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:20 pm 

Keep up your Kegels; go to pelvic floor physical therapy, when your doctors think it's appropriate, and keep us informed. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:03 pm 

'tis the scourge of urge...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:41 pm 

I too have urg and overflow incontinence,I usually have one to two minutes before my bladder lets go. Cold weather makes it worse,also I cannot hold it when I first get home.Like you all I deal with it with diapers and rubberpants.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:17 pm 

A really strange event took place 3 nights ago. I was sleeping on our recliner, as usual, due to my back pain and one of our cats gave me a "chiropractic adjustment". She jumped onto my lower ribs and then walked around on them. This set off a major, painful back spasm. However, my incontinence has not been a problem since. Everything associated with my bladder appears to be functioning up to spec. No idea how long this will last but it is a welcome break from my routine the last few weeks. Wishing you all the best and will keep you up to date. Stan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:08 pm 

Stan wrote:
A really strange event took place 3 nights ago. I was sleeping on our recliner, as usual, due to my back pain and one of our cats gave me a "chiropractic adjustment". She jumped onto my lower ribs and then walked around on them. This set off a major, painful back spasm. However, my incontinence has not been a problem since. Everything associated with my bladder appears to be functioning up to spec. No idea how long this will last but it is a welcome break from my routine the last few weeks. Wishing you all the best and will keep you up to date. Stan

Damn, sounds worth it!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:16 am 

Stan wrote:

take whatever you can get. my cat seems to think its funny to jump from the floor to the bed and land on my nads. 99/100 times. not that big a deal but that's the Maine coon 17lb fat-ass
that does this.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:46 pm 

The thing about chiropractic adjustments is that they never last very long. My IC is back to "normal". However, the break was nice and the effect pointed to a possible problem around T-10 which my doctors have never looked for. So we just keep on keeping on. Stan