All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: got the results
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:04 pm 

i guess i'm stuck with Colitis :(

need some advice on what kind of road i'm headed
Thanks

Post subject: Re: got the results
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:33 am 

Sorry about your diagnosis, lecktroman. I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis in 1991 @age 40, and I've managed quite well long-term on the maintenance drug Sulfasalazine (1000 mg daily, one 500 mg tab in the morning and another in the evening). B/4 my diagnosis I let myself get so sick that I needed 40 mg of Prednisone (a steroid) daily to even touch the inflammation, but the Pred turned it around quickly. Pred is a fairly nasty drug, so if you need it, make sure your doc is on board with starting you off with a low dose and ramping up if necessary. Also, I get colonoscopies yearly. People who have UC have a high risk of developing colorectal cancer. I had 2 surgeries (2007 & 2018) to remove a precancerous tumor (adinoma) in my rectum that formed in exactly the same place both times.

Over the years I've come to know several people (all guys, and in my age group) who have UC. I suspect that once you get on a treatment plan you'll do fine with minimal gut aches and bouts of diarhhea. Sulfasalazine turns pee bright orange, though, even with good hydration, so don't be surprised to see that, lol! Btw, I'm female, but I've heard that UC occurs most often in guys. Hope this answers @least some of your questions. Also, we're practically neighbors - I live in the Seattle area.

W.