www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:21 am 

Back in 2004 i was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. As the years went by, I went from occasional bedwetting to accidents during the day. As my disease progressed, I started losing bowel function as well as strength in my right leg. Now, as of the past 3 years, my bladder has become neurogenic, where i no longer have ANY sensations or "have to pee" warnings whatsoever. My internal sphincter remains open, because somewhere along the way, my brain no longer was able to send signals to it to close it. My urethra is also without sensation. So not only can i not tell when I have to GO pee, I can not tell when my urine exits my bladder either. i don't often know when i pee unless i feel warmth or a trickle down my skin. I still have limited sensation of my bowel, but only when im constipated. I have lost quite a bit of fine motor function in my fingers. I have trouble putting on or changing my own diapers because of that. I have a PCA come and see me for a few hours, 6 days a week but thats where my boyfriend comes in. I thought i would NEVER be able to meet any man who would accept my incontinence with open arms, until my boyfriend came along.

Sorry for all the rambling. See you around. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:31 am 

LilliDew, Welcome to the site. I am sorry to hear about your MS and all the complications that come with it. I am happy to hear that you have found someone in your life that is able and willing to help you. Good luck in your journey.

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise." -
Gore Vidal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:22 am 

Welcome Lillidew! :D

I think you will like it here. We all learn from each other.

--John

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:41 pm 

LilliDew,

Add my welcome to those above. I too have neurogenic difficulties with bladder and bowel control. Mine are caused by a genetic disease which is much less disabling than your situation. I was heartened to read that your boyfriend is more than accepting of your situation. Too often among us, the opposite is true.

I look forward to your posts and your wisdom.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:02 pm 

Hi, LilliDew - welcome to the forum. We're somewhat of a family here. As you may have noticed, the folks here are friendly and willing to share helpful information gleaned from personal experience and mastery.

I'm sorry that you're dealing with MS and neurogenic bladder, but I'm so happy that you have someone in your life who is not only understanding and helpful with respect to your medical needs, but who cares about you as a person and appreciates you as a woman. You and I have a lot of similarities, down to our mutual distaste for catheters and fondness for wearing capris! I'm a 64 yo married woman. I don't have MS, but I had a stroke 4 years ago, and I still have balance and fine motor skills deficiencies (I walk without a walker or cane, however). I also went from occasional bedwetting to high-volume, nightly episodes after my stroke. I have daytime urge incontinence, which actually started a year before my childhood bedwetting returned permanently at age 25. I wear pull-ups both day and night due to the motor skills issues.

I truly admire your attitude - you seem to have it completely together.

Wetters

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:02 pm 

LilliDew, welcome to the group. I echo what everyone else has said. I have found great support in this group.