www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:23 am 

A small update, my appointment has been rescheduled. As I had to walk my son to school for he's first day, he's in first grade. So it's normal here in Denmark, that parents follow their children to school on their first day. Anyway that day was the day I should have been to the Urodynamics, so it has been postponed until the end of October.

However I do have a question for you guys.
Lately I have started to experience problems at night also, where I wake up in the morning all wet. My wife have been somewhat supportive about it, she went out and bought a mattress protection and asked me to wear better protection to bed from now on. She very frankly told me, that If the sheets should be wet in the morning, I should just let her know, and she would wash - no hard feelings.....however I have to admit, that telling my wife, that I peed myself during sleep and the bed is wet has been a humiliating experience to me, to which she just responded, that it wasn't my fault, so it was no big deal to her....which is kind of a relief.

Anyway is it normal that if you have frequent urges and accidents during the day, that at some point that turns into nighttime problems as well e.g. bedwetting? This has been going on for some time now, and now I usually wake up wet in the morning also, with no recall of going during he night. I have always been a heavy sleeper.
I have never been a bedwetter as a child and now as an adult, I'm turning into one.....what a faith.

In the daytime I have also seen an increase in accidents lately, where the sudden urge just strikes me without warning and I start to pee regardless of where I am, my bladder sort of cramps a few times and quickly (within a few seconds) feels very uncomfortable and then it just gushes out. So I might reconsider my level of protection....which makes me question whether there are any other pull ups available also in Europe which have better capacity than a Tena pant? I have noticed that when I change, it's only wet in the front and some between my legs, and I don't like having to take off all my clothes to change into a dry one, so maybe there are products with a higher capacity which utilizes more of the absorbent material. Despite I'm wearing a genuine diaper now at night to cope with bedwetting, I don't think I'm ready to wear one during the day, due to other peoples comments etc. and it being too obvious.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:48 am 

Jms sorry you are going through this, I would recommend picking up several washable water proof pads that will sit on top of the sheets. I use the priva 34X54" pads I have 4 of them. They work great for the nights that I leak from my diaper. I just grab the wet pad when I get up to change then replace with a clean one after changing with out having to wake up my wife or having wet sheets. We still have a full mattress protector under the sheets as a just incase.

As time goes on you will get better at taping your diaper and if you point down at night you will find you will leak less. I would also recommend looking at some premium diapers like Dry 24/7's they are way more absorbant then the Tena or Depends brands.

Good luck with the doctors hope they can find the cause of your bladder issues, just remember you are not alone in dealing with day and night time wettings and this site is great for user support and info.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:24 am 

jms,

I regretted reading that you have developed nocturnal difficulties, and that your urologist appointment has been postponed until October. Meanwhile, you need to cope. You might begin to experiment with heavier nighttime protection, such as Abena and Molicare. If your urologist tells you that this may be a permanent condition for you, you might also consider investing in an inventory of washable diapers and plastic pants. Good luck and keep us informed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:41 pm 

jms - Abena products (diapers & pull-ups) are made in Denmark, so you should have no problem finding them there. They are a high-quality and high-capacity product.

Wetters

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:18 am 

Thanks for the support guys.

what kinda surprised me, was that in the beginning my wife somewhat had a hostile attitude against me, that has all but changed. She's very supportive now, maybe the upcoming urodynamics has helped her reverting to a more friendly tone.
Anyway I'll look into the Abena stuff. However after using them at night, my wife started to complain a bit about me smelling of wet diaper in the morning. I investigated, since I thought that all disposables would cover any odor. But to my surprise Abena doesn't list that on their description of their products.
so I figure I have to look elsewhere to find proper protection, I don't want to be pointed out as a guy who smells of pee during daytime. And to be honest I don't think I'm ready to start wearing tape-on diapers during the day. In my belief that is in a sense sort of giving in, even before I have gotten the verdict from the urologist.

However if I should end up starting to use tape diapers for the just in case situations, how do you do when you actually can make it to the toilet, I figure it isn't as easy just to pull down a tight fitting diaper and go pee as it is with a pull up.?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:41 am 

jms,

You did not mention which Abena diaper you are using.

You mentioned that your wife complained of odor. Are you using one of the breathable Abena diapers with a cloth-like exterior?

You will find much better odor control with a plastic-backed (also called plastic-shell) Abena diaper. Abena still makes some diapers with plastic backing. :D The names and the availability vary from country to country. In the U.S. they sometimes are marketed as "Abena Abri-form Classic Briefs." You should be able to find these in Denmark, under a different name.

Meanwhile, do two things. First, be sure that you are well hydrated as that will reduce urine odor. Also, try sprinkling some baby powder inside your diaper at bedtime to further reduce the odor.

Good luck!

--John

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:14 am 

At the moment I'm using the Abena M3 at night, tried the M4 ordered a sample pack and they where plastic, not sure I can get them anymore, but my wife complained about them smelling bad when wet. And also the M4 where ridiculously thick, so I found the M3 were sufficient for my need.

However being well hydrated doesn't that aggregate the problem even more. In the letter I received from the urologist I'm going to in a couple of months, they write that their recommendation in regard to fluid intake during the day shall not exceed 1.5 liters for a normal adult person.

My intake when I measured it is close to 2 liters, that is one mug of coffee in the morning and water for the rest. If I go lower in my fluid intake that is the recommended intake, I start to experience headaches due to not enough water, and if I have an accident it stings.
But do my fluid intake go higher than 2 liters, then I start having more frequent and stronger urges.

I did fill out a diary, and with an intake of 2 liters per day, I pee like 15 -16 times, I measured over three days, and the third day I was down to 1.7 liters in intake, and still peed like 12-13 times during an entire day.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:42 am 

Hey jms,

I use the Molicare super Plus during the day. They have odor protection though they are a bit bulky...and from what I can read, that's the opposite of what you are looking for. Anyway they are a really great product. Maybe they were worth a try for you for the night?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:16 am 

Patrick wrote:
jms,

I regretted reading that you have developed nocturnal difficulties, and that your urologist appointment has been postponed until October. Meanwhile, you need to cope. You might begin to experiment with heavier nighttime protection, such as Abena and Molicare. If your urologist tells you that this may be a permanent condition for you, you might also consider investing in an inventory of washable diapers and plastic pants. Good luck and keep us informed.

Anyway my question towards the more experienced guys, is nocturnal difficulties common for people dealing with OAB / Urge incon (I write both despite I haven't gotten my own verdict yet.) but since I'm going often and having difficulties in holding back, I think I fit into both categories......at least until things change to the better, hopefully. I'm just asking regarding nocturnal difficulties, whether this is something I can expect to be solved or if it persists.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:26 am 

There are so many different causes for incontinence that it's hard to say. For myself, I have had nocturnal issues in the past, but at the moment it's daytime only issues.