www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello everyone :)
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:13 pm 

Hello, I'm DCITV - or David. I'm new here so sorry if I make any errors :) I am not entirely sure if I am incontinent, but recently I have been having pee accidents, mostly at night when I awake. I drink fizzy juice mostly and am quite overweight for my age which I am aware are factors that may be causing the problem.

I am very embarrassed to admit that I have had to wear makeshift Pampers nappies/diapers but usually the leak is quite full. At the moment, I am dancing a little desperately needing to go as someone is in the shower! I hope I'll be ok, but I have a towel with me as I don't think I will make it. The other night, I awoke needing to pee and foolishly put it off for a few minutes to do something else. Whether due to tiredness or laziness, I found within five minutes, I had completely wet my trousers. They were soaked :(

I appreciate the chance to open up about this. Thank you everyone.

Post subject: Re: Hello everyone :)
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:49 pm 

Hi, David, and welcome. It's the same with me - daytime urge incontinence. It started with a sudden onset when I was 24. I'm 63 and female. I never had kids or have been pregnant. I gave up carbonated drinks years ago because I suspected that they were at least partially to blame for my wetting accidents, and also because I heard that they can cause osteoporosis in women. I wear protection 24/7. I'm also a bedwetter, and have been for most of my life. I (try to) do Kegel exercises daily, and I use the bathroom at intervals throughout the day, in an effort to avoid an over-full bladder.

Since the urge incon appears to be something new for you, I think it would be a good idea for you to have a medical workup in the near future, just to make sure that you don't have diabetes, or some other serious medical problem.

As to protection, I prefer pull-ups for both daytime (store brand) and nighttime (Abena Abri-Flex), but everyone needs to go through a trial-and-error period to determine what protection is best for his/her particular needs.

Again, welcome to the forum. The folks here are friendly, caring, have a collective wealth of useful information, and are willing to provide you with guidance and support.

Wetters

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:55 pm 

Welcome to the forum Dave. I stay in Scotland so know about about the UK health service.

You need to book in to see your doctor soon. Don't put things off or hope they will get better just get booked in. You will end up with some tests I expect but you ought to get some help and don't forget to find out about your local continence advisor who will also be helpful.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:31 pm 

Welcome Dave,
You have found a truly non-judgmental and informative group of friends. I have daytime only issues, for some reason when I lay down, it goes away. But I have a very short amount of time to get to the loo when I step out of bed in the morning. Feel free to ask anything, as we have all been there in some form or another.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:53 pm 

David,

Please accept my apologies for this tardy welcome to our group. Consider yourself among friends here, but more than that, you are among folks who know exactly what you must endure, because they live it as well as you do. When it comes to using diapers and/or other protection, the adage 'better safe than sorry,' comes to mind.

Again, welcome.