www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Urge vs. Overflow
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:49 pm 

Does overflow be mistaken for urge incontinence?

Until recently my thinking has been that I have urge incontinence. This due to an increased frequency and now a very short warning time before that point of no return.
Now I am wondering if my problem is overflow rather than urge or if there is perhaps some crossover between the two. I've noticed that even after the flow stops there is still some feeling of pressure in my bladder that doesn't go away. If I push very hard on my bladder muscles I can restart the flow, and when that stops, if I push even harder it restarts again.
I started wearing protection during the day because the frequency of my trips to the restroom were interfering with my daily routine. At first I had several minutes to make it to the restroom, I just had to go every 20-30 minutes at times.
Then one day I stopped at a petrol station, I first felt like I had to go when I got out of my car, but by the time I walked into the store the urge was so intense it started flowing on it's own. Thankfully I was wearing heavy protection that day, and not the light pads I had been wearing, because that was probably the first time I had experienced that. Now I am experiencing that a few times a week.

Post subject: Re: Urge vs. Overflow
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:29 pm 

Once Upon A Time wrote:
Until recently my thinking has been that I have urge incontinence. Now I am wondering if my problem is overflow rather than urge or if there is perhaps some crossover between the two.

I have wondered the same thing. I can't personally pin down one or the other with me or a combination of both. I sometimes have the urge to go that gets too strong or also an urge that does not go away with voiding. I also have some leaking every so often that I can only attribute to overflow. Believe me, you are not alone in this one.

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise." -
Gore Vidal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:17 am 

Guys, there is a simple way to know if you have overflow or not. Normally, if you do there is a largish residual amount of urine left in the bladder after each voiding. A normal void should leave well under 100 mls but if you have overflow, you will have retention problems (the cause) and my be hold 500 ml - 1000 ml...

The diagnosis is easily done by a trained nurse these days using ultrasound. A scan of the bladder is taken before and then after voiding. The volume of the bladder after voiding can be measured from the scan. It is important to find out as retained urine gets infected and no one wants that.

If you have retention and subsequent overflow the solution is simple - one has to self catheterize several times a day to ensure the bladder is properly emptied. I am now dry all day with no protection from doing this every 5 hours or so. Nights are longer and I still get leakage overnight.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:27 pm 

Urologists use ultrasound and also Urodynamics to find out . I have neuropthy and it is affecting my sphincter. Mine snaps shut quickly. How long can you freely urinate without pushing? I used to be able to go real good, then it was down to 10 seconds, now I am down to 3 seconds. I just had a ultrasound and I had 500 ml in my bladder. So I was sent for a renal ultrasound and another bladder ultrasound. I have a urodynamic test coming up. If I fail that I will be in a Foley or a supra pubic catheter.
Go see a good Urologist. Don't mess with it as you could lose your kidneys if urine backs up!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:54 am 

In my recent flow test I voided 136ml while my flow never exceeded 8ml p/s. Normal is 20+ at my age. And I had to go again ten minutes later, and again ten minutes after that, and again...
Part of why I voided so many times that morning was I had drank plenty of fluids in order to keep my bladder full, what I didn't tell the nurse was I had already voided once on my way up, I didn't get a chance to tell her that my bladder still felt like it had more fluid. I remember the odd look on her face as she looked at my chart and back at me in disbelief. I didn't know my results until a week later.
I've been placed in queue with a priority level of 2 which means I have to wait up to 12 weeks until my next appointment.
I'm just glad I'm getting some answers. I don't know what is causing the slow flow yet, although I suspect it might be damage that occurred a few years back when it felt like I passed a stone while in bed with my wife. It felt like glass shooting through my penis followed by burning followed by a strange feeling down below for the next two days. After that I had pain every time I was with my wife. My problems seem to have gradually started from that event.
Now I have to fight off frequent UT and bladder infections as well as testicular pain and swelling and now frequent and urgent needs to urinate without completely voiding.