www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:28 am 

Hi,

Im new to all of this. Forums and unfortunately incontinence, over the last year or so my condition has gotten worse to the point its not only night time its in the day i need protection. It took a lot to go and see the doctor which was 3 months ago ( being to proud & embarrassed ) i have now come to terms with this and my condition. But i found the nappies i have prescribed to me through the NHS are to be honest absolutely terrible. They leave me with rashes and irritate me also leak at night which kind defeats the object. So im seeking advice the best products out there which aren't to expensive! At the moment i have bought bed pads as well but it's quite expensive!

Thank you in advance!
Ricky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:15 am 

Hello Ricky, Welcome to our Forum!

Sorry that your incon (condition) has worsened and you find yourself looking for better diapers. The "best" diapers are expensive, unfortunately. I will recommend Unique Wellness. If they fit you right, I think you will be impressed with the performance and they can be had in case lot quantity for about $1 per diaper. For me they they provide about the same protection and confidence as diapers in the $1.30 to $1.50 each range.

For overnight, a lot of folks resort to cloth diapers. The expense is buying them but they last. The hassle is the laundry and you need plastic pants, of course. If you want to consider cloth, look into Babykins products. I recommend the #10500 Velcro cotton diaper as it goes on as easily as a disposable; back up to a wall to hold the back and bring the diaper up thru your legs and pull the wing Velcro tabs across the front, just like a disposable. Pull a pair of #50300V plastic pants over it and the encased elastics will prevent wicking leaks onto the bed sheets.

I say to stay away from the all-in-one products, diapers with waterproof barriers as they are harder to launder and often the waterproofing fails long before the cotton product wears out....so stick to the basics; a cloth diaper and pull on plastic pants over it. Machine wash the diapers and handwash the plastic pants and you'll get years of dry bed sheets for your investment.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:19 pm 

Hi Ricky,
To stay completely dry and secure I have switched to Condom catheters. Of course they are now for everybody. I'm 59 and retired. So they work well for me. Oh yes I pay $4 a day!!! That's $28 a week! The bag is another $5. My insurance pays for them so I'm paying nothing. Of course I had a prostate operation this year and it was $32,000. My out of pocket was over $4000. So I have a free ride the rest of the year!