www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: And so it begins..
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:21 am 

Last night I awoke soaked 2.5 hours after going to sleep, which affected the bed+mat because I was only wearing Tena for Men. This has never happened to me before but I have been fearing it. If this continues, I need better protection at night.

This obviously adds to the monthly cost. I don't need full night time protection yet, so I was thinking along the lines of NorthShore GoSupreme Lite pull-up, and re-using them when possible for 2 or 3 days. I know that re-use is a problem with sweating etc. But I am expecting to remain dry most nights for now.

It is so infuriating to plan for events that might happen, but seldom do. Yet the problem is ugly enough that I can't ignore it. Does anyone reuse night time pull-ups or have other cost saving tips?

Post subject: Re: And so it begins..
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:11 pm 

Might be worth investing in a couple of cloth prefolds and a large pair of PUL covers. Seems a fair number of folks on the forum prefer cloth at night.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:25 pm 

To stop the leaks try my trick of using a cloth booster pad in your pull-up. I use the Walmart Mainstays Flour Sack Towels (10 for $8) which are actually just thin 100% cotton cloths. I fold them into a 12 layer pad and put it in my nighttime diaper. The cloths wick much faster than any disposable and then slowly transfer the wetness to the diaper. If you have little voids (like 250mL) like I do you can probably get away with using an inexpensive pull-up plus the booster, but if they are bigger a cloth booster and a Northshore pull-up should do the trick. As for reusing the pull-up I would say it's no problem to use it another night (or maybe two?) if it didn't get wet at all. If the boosters get "used" just rinse them out in the sink in the morning, hang to dry, and then put them into the regular wash.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:21 am 

if you are having a full void or more I would not be using a pullup. and yes I get pricing.
currently spending almost 200 month on briefs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:51 am 

I agree totally about briefs but the Mrs isn't ready to accept that yet. Perhaps in time. In the meantime, I just try to keep the peace.

To the others, I can see how cloth would save money in the long run. Not sure my Mrs would go for that either. She is having a more difficult time with acceptance than I am. Cloth inside a pullup might be worth a try but that implies added laundry. I'll give that some thought.

Thanks for your advice.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 am 

Hello Wayne,

maybe it's just a one-time accident. Check your drinking and it's best not to drink for two hours before bedtime. If it's more frequent, probably diapers are really the only thing that will help - but in that case, your wife is probably okay with it, too, because I'm sure she doesn't like you flooding the bed :-)

I think overnight briefs work best and use them myself. I've also tried cloth but wasn't happy with them because they felt too thick and warm and I didn't sleep well with them.

If you are thinking about reusing unused briefs you may be able to. Depending on the quality of the panties, this may or may not work. I do that sometimes too, if I'm lucky and one stays dry. However, the fluff often falls apart and then the absorbency is greatly reduced because the moisture is no longer distributed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:23 pm 

Thank you for your comments. It is happening every so often now, sometimes a week or so apart. Sometimes two days in a row. It's really weird because I sometimes dream about peeing in my diaper and wake up and find that it was really happening. I used to dream about finding a toilet... I have to be careful because the pull-ups I usually wear are not adequate for a full void. After this morning, even with the Abena Abriflex, I am thinking that I need to wear plastic pants.

It is true that you do have to watch what you drink before bed. The odd night that I have had a decaf coffee, usually results in an incident. Nights that I have remained dry in something absorbent, I can usually wear the next night. But I am trying to find something suitable for day and night so that I can just use one pull-up per day. I sweat a lot at night (due to diabetes nerve damage) and so I really don't like reusing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:41 pm 

It was horrible as my bedwetting started at university and I resisted mum's idea to wear nappies.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:38 am 

I agree that it is unpleasant. Lately I've been dry overnight, so I am grateful for that. Unfortunately, a suitable diaper is the only practical solution when it happens.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:53 am 

wayne wrote:
I agree that it is unpleasant. Lately I've been dry overnight, so I am grateful for that. Unfortunately, a suitable diaper is the only practical solution when it happens.

No a cure is.