Switch to full style
How do you deal with having adult bedwetting/nocturnal enuresis?
Post a reply

Which side is "up"?

Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:24 pm

Recent events have caused us to invest in and install an (ahem) incontinent Absorbent Reusable Underpad for the bed because of yours truly. But then the question became, which side is up?

• One line of reasoning is that the cloth (absorbent) side goes up (else how can it be absorbent?)
  • Another line of reasoning is that the non-absorbent side protects the bed and should be face up.

While I believe the first answer is correct, I think we currently have our mat upside down. Who knew there was so much to know about being IC?

Re: Which side is "up"?

Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:39 pm

The absorbent side goes up, to protect the bed. Otherwise any pee would just run over it and straight onto the mattress.

Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:41 pm

That makes sense! Fortunately we're not dealing with that kind of volume at this stage.

Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:08 am

I am a busy sleeper, so I discovered that when I put the under pad on top of the bottom sheet, it would crease and roll around, protecting nothing by morning. To solve this, I put the under pad between the bottom sheet and the mattress. It still gets scrunched up, but not as much, and it still protects the mattress. I still must straighten it out when I make the bed each morning.

Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:18 am

That's what my wife does also. She did try placing the mat above the sheet for a while but it kept winding up on the floor by the time I got up in the morning.

Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:04 am

Guys, I too am an active sleeper. Plus, my therapists have directed me to change positions during the night.

After having the same problems with underpads that you describe, I purchased a reusable underpad from NorthShore Care. Once I place it on top of the bottom sheet it stays in place during the night (it moves only a little).

The one I purchased was for heavier absorption and cost about $19.00. You may wish to try it

--John
(double incontinent)

Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:47 pm

I'm a skeptic John. :wink: We bought a mat from Walmart which is fairly heavy. But I am convinced that unless it were lead lined, mine would end up on the floor anyway. Part of my toss 'n turning is due to the cats that like to sleep between my feet. Having the mat above the mattress and below the bottom sheet works well for me.
Post a reply