Switch to full style
How do you deal with having adult bedwetting/nocturnal enuresis?
Post a reply

World bedwetting day

Tue May 21, 2019 4:36 pm

A week from today. May 28th 2019 is world bedwetting day.

I don't entirely understand the purpose, but I think it's interesting.

Re: World bedwetting day

Tue May 21, 2019 5:26 pm

It's to elevate awareness of children's bedwetting. interestingly the websites don't mention adult bedwetting.
Darn, and here I thought I finally had a "day" I could relate too! :D

Wed May 22, 2019 9:31 am

Yeah, I was kinda psyched about it, then I see that it's targeted at children. This is almost worse because it seems like the idea is that bedwetting is exclusively children. That said, if they included us older folks, too, then the kids might despair that it's something that they can't outgrow.

Is there a National Incontinence Day? Yes! With 30 seconds of googling, I found this: https://www.theurologyfoundation.org/ab ... 2-WCW-2019

Wed May 22, 2019 9:35 am

Some kids might despair knowing that they might never grow out of it, but I think others might find solace in realize they don't just wet the bed because they're, "still a baby", and it's not something that, "only babies do".

Wed May 22, 2019 10:01 am

MSUSpartan wrote:Some kids might despair knowing that they might never grow out of it, but I think others might find solace in realize they don't just wet the bed because they're, "still a baby", and it's not something that, "only babies do".

This is the truth. In addition, I'm often surprised how well kids adapt to challenges. A family friend had a daughter who, while growing up, was clearly...atypical. She was not very verbal, but definitely bright and talented. When she was diagnosed with Asperger's, she didn't break down. In fact, she was relieved because she said that her issues were known and had a name. It wasn't some monster in the shadows anymore, and there were people out there who knew how to deal with it.

Wed May 22, 2019 4:58 pm

Supermarket shelf space is the most expensive real estate in nearly any community. Products that do not sell are soon replaced by products that do sell. Our local supermarket devotes about five feet (1.75 meters) of shelf space to GoodNites and its competitors, for children from three to adolescence. My guess is that the parents of 30-50 enuretic/incontinent kids purchase these products. A day devoted to raising awareness about their condition earns my approval.

Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:53 pm

I'm happy to see bedwetting emerge somewhat from under the covers. IMO, with increased awareness that childhood and adult enuresis is more common than most people who don't have wet nights realize, the mainstream will better understand and accept it as a matter of course. Also, bedwetters will feel less isolated and have a higher level of self esteem and confidence.

Over the years (starting in the early '60s with the Macdonald Triad, which includes firesetting and animal cruelty in addition to enuresis?), a number of negative stereotypes have become attached to bedwetting, which range from immaturity and laziness to sociopathic/psychopathic tendencies. I suspect that as bedwetting becomes regarded as more commonplace, those stereotypes will fade away.

W.

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:25 am

I tried to write up an informative primer on it on the parenting sub on Reddit ... and the moderators there removed it.

Apparently it violated a rule, because I linked an outside source, the main website for world bedwetting day, and they took my post to be a copy paste job from a blog.
Post a reply