www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dealing with bedwetting
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:43 pm 
Admin

What are some of the tips and ideas that you have found that helps with bedwetting?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:55 pm 

I’m not sure if I found the best sulution for me and I have still some quastionmarks. I’d tryed meanwhile a couple of things and ended up with diapers. I’m still not happy with it and I still have some hope to find a way to fix this problem somehow better but for the moment it seems to be the best way for me

My problem is that my inner blader nerves are partly damaged. This result in two consequences: First I have only a reduced feeling about the filling of my bladder and second if the sensation sets in my bladder normaly react with spasm. If I sleep I will normaly wake up by the urge, but if I move in the bed or try to getup my blader cramps and I can’t hold it anymore. Over the time I tried out different variations of things I’d learned and wrote down the results for me to get a clearer view whats happend:

With medication only: mayby a 60% chance for a dry night.
With medication and timed voiding (every 3 hours): a 99% chance for a dry night.
With timed voiding only: maby a 85% chances for a dry night.
Without the obove mentioned options: 10% chances for a dry night.

Some might wonder why I chosed for the moment option four. The anwer is simple: I need the sleep. I’m better rested when I wakup short, let it happen and fall back into sleep again as if the alarm clock rings every 3 hours and I have to move out of the bed. The medication had side effects that I found not acceptable compared to the success rate that they brought. In fact this is realy frustrating especialy because I was pretty sucsessful getting at last some control back over the daytime.

So I wonder if some one also suffering from urge problems tried somthing different that helps.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:40 pm 

Your current situation sounds amazingly like mine 20 years ago! Unfortunately my leakage issues have progressed to nearly free flow - very little control and no sensation of a full bladder, which may never get full due to “free flow”...
I sincerely hope that your issues improve!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:51 am 

Currently I take Myrbetriq to deal with painful bladder spasms, which kept me awake at night. However, one side effect of that medication is high blood pressure. And, even with Myrbetriq I still need heavy protection at night. I am thinking that a renewed sphincterotomy might be a better solution.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:27 am 

Sometimes the sensation of a full bladder awakens, and sometimes I wet without awakening. if I try to get up to go to the bathroom when I awaken, my urge incontinece kicks in and causes me to wet without any control. Over the years , my doctors have tried me on several drugs, but none had any appreciable effect on either my daytime symptoms or my bedwetting. So my solution is to wear a high-capacity diaper 24/7. Diapers make life so much simpler and stress free.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:09 am 

My bedwetting went from occasional to frequent, about 7 years ago. I tried bed pads, setting alarms, medication, restrictions fluids, avoiding certain foods or beverages, etc, and in various combinations. The only thing that pretty reliably has me wake up in a dry bed is just wearing diapers.

That's what i do now, and don't worry about the rest.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:51 am 

After developing Type II Diabetes and having a stroke nearly 8 years ago, my nighttime wetting escalated from intermittent and isolated episodes with light-to-moderate volumes to a high-volume output with nightly and sometimes multiple wettings. I also have balance and manual dexterity residuals and have difficulty fastening a diaper effectively. I use a premium pull-up (Abena Abri-Flex for both daytime and nighttime). I also sleep on a surface bed pad to catch an occasional leak (washable for home use, and GoodNites disposables for travel), and I have a waterproof mattress cover. My bed stays dry - the bed pad is easily removed and replaced, if necessary. No need for middle-of-the-night bed clean-up or rousting my husband from a sound sleep.

W.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:22 pm 

My situation is somewhat different than most here in that I almost never wake up to pee. When sleeping if my bladder is full I dream that I have to find a urinal/toilet and when I do find one I dream I'm peeing normally. However in actuality my bladder just empties into my protection and surprisedly rarely wakes me up. This happens completely randomly anywhere from 1 to 8+ times a month so I have to be well protected every night. Obviously I would prefer not to bedwet at all but I think it may be preferable to waking up one or more times a night as I have a very hard time getting back to sleep if I've already had an hour or two of sleep beforehand.

The protection I use is a 100% cotton pad (actually a WalMart 28"x28" Flour Sack Cloth) which I fold into six or eight layers and put into a quality pull-up. I find that the cotton pad absorbs everything, even significant floods, instantly and then transfers much of it to the pull-up. My voids are pretty small so even though this has worked well for me it may not for others. My thinking with this approach is that if I do wake up having to pee I can just pull everything down and use the toilet normally. Over all of that I wear a Gary PUL pant. My bed protection is a 36" x 48" Champion brand (from Northshore Care Supply) reusable bed pad.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:16 pm 

On the rare occasions when l remember a dream, they're sometimes bathroom-related and sometimes not. My nighttime voids almost never wake me.

I forgot to mention that I'm a stomach sleeper, and wetness tends to pool under my belly. I boost my pull-up with a couple of store-brand pads placed horizontally across the front of the pull-up, between the top of the absorbent material and the waistband, since not even premium-quality pull-ups have enough absorbency up-front. I'd like to have a pull-up with SAP all the way to the waistband and on both sides to about an inch toward the back.

W.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:34 pm 

I'm also a stomach sleeper. I wear an Abena abriform L4. I put it on that it is pulled slightly to far forward, and then fold the front top 2" inward to form an envelope, then tape up like that.