www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 3:55 pm 

There is a convenience consideration and sleep deprivation concern that you are trying to address.
If you decide to wear and use a diaper to sleep better, I would do whatever you can to maintain control. Maintaining continence should be a priority.

Several months ago my aunt had a total knee replacement.
She is not incontinent but has the usual urgency that many older women get.
She told the nurses at the hospital to give her a "brief" for her to use so that she could stay in bed and not worry about wetting the bed or falling. She continued wearing diapers day and night for a week. When she felt an urge to use the toilet, she would tell the nurse at the hospital or the aide at home. If help arrived quickly enough, she would use the toilet. If they did not, she would use the diaper. Afterwards she stopped wearing them when she felt comfortable enough that she could get out of bed without falling or strong enough to get out of bed quickly enough to use the toilet. Her bladder control has not changed at all and she has maintained her continence.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:34 am 

I treasure a whole nights sleep, over fighting a lost battle. I chosed to give up? And just take the necessary steps needed to avoid a wet bed. I still wake up sometimes, but found that just going in my diaper without getting up, meant only seconds if any, before drifting back to sleep, again. This approach has been good for my wellbeing and have meant a good nights rest.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:14 pm 

This is something that I’ve struggled with for a while, normally I’ll wake up two or three times each night to pee, and I’d always be super tired the next day. Three weeks ago I actually bit the bullet and started using a diaper every night, and I’m actually getting the best sleep I’ve ever gotten, I no longer wake up tired and I no longer require an energy drink during the day. ( which has really helped with my daytime urgency) So for right now this definitely seems like the best thing for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:07 am 

We cannot function without adequate sleep. If, at some point, your quality of life is diminished more by the lack of sleep than by the risk of waking up with a wet bed, it is time to just use the diaper at night and wake up refreshed. Once you have learned to diaper effectively at night you will not leak.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:21 am 

Are you male? Condom catheters and a 2 liter bag may be another option.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:21 am 

ScottK wrote:

Yes ... if you’re not rolling around a lot that works indeed. It’s even better for the skin and you don’t sweat that much in summer. But If you role a lot while sleeping then this ether gives you a nice “ouch” or you lose the pipe without mentioning it... more over it’s pretty extensive...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:29 pm 

when my issues first started, it was kind of like what the OP noted. I would wake up sometimes 4 or 5 times a night. I'd start wetting some nights but still often wake multiple times. When the wetting increased to the point I felt like I needed to wear something to bed, I stopped waking up as much. IDK if somehow psychologically my body knew I was gonna wet in a diaper anyway but once I started wetting nearly every night, I pretty much stopped waking up. And when I did occasionally wake up, I just used my diaper instead and went back to sleep. I never wake up now feeling like I have to go, rather I wake up every morning fully rested, but with soaked diaper. I VERY MUCH prefer it to waking up 5 times a night. I've given up on trying to be dry at night and I don't regret it at all. I sleep well now and have made peace with my need for diapers. It's a very normal feeling now and totally normal part of my bedtime routine to put a diaper on. I feel no shame or emarrassment about it and get good quality sleep.

I don't care AT ALL about trying to maintain any night time continence. I care much more about getting sound sleep.

With severe OAB and urge incon, I wear 24/7 but still try as much as possible to maintain daytime continence. I'd love to get out of diapers during the day at some point, though I'm losing hope there. But at night, don't care anymore, really.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:37 pm 

If you are an active sleeper, or if you have oily skin which prevents the catheter from adhering, you simply cannot make a condom catheter work.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:52 pm 

michael_dahlke wrote:
ScottK wrote:

Yes ... if you’re not rolling around a lot that works indeed. It’s even better for the skin and you don’t sweat that much in summer. But If you role a lot while sleeping then this ether gives you a nice “ouch” or you lose the pipe without mentioning it... more over it’s pretty extensive...

Condom catheter and bag may work even then. You just have to prepare. I tried many different condom catheters (maybe 5 or 6) and finally settled on Conveen Optima. A couple of helpful hints:
1)Insert the tube from the bag all the way into the nipple on the catheter. Less likely to pop off that way.
2)Get a wide elastic strap to secure and support the catheter to hose fitting on your upper thigh. BTW, this does mean your penis will be pointed towards your feet while lying down.

3)Have a snug, but not over tight pair of underwear or athletic shorts just to keep everything lined up and flow unrestricted.
I have been doing this for close to two years now and the only leak I have had has been from a bad seam in a bag. And that was a nasty wake up in the morning. And while I came here to share what tidbits I have learned, I have also picked up on something I have been doing wrong. From the picture I have embedded I see I have been using the blue catheter strap wrong. Never done learning.
ScottK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:09 pm 

I'm in the "use your diaper" camp. Cloth diapers and plastic pants. Do I wet every night? No. I get a good night's sleep? Yes. Such a simple solution. Stigma? Who's going to know other than your wife?(who'll not be awakened either).

Just my take.

BD

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next