www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:30 pm 

fiacs wrote:
I appreciate all the good advice for my family.
He is in construction and he tells me that the fitful sleep at night is catching up with him. He is not as alert as he would like to be.
I think there are several barriers to purposefully wetting a diaper for people who are not incontinent.
I am sure there is a mental barrier - wetting yourself is not easy and also my aunt won't be happy about a wet bed
There is probably a physical barrier.
I've told him what you said and he is willing to keep on trying to wear the diapers.
I'll let you know how he progresses. So far its been 0% success with wetting his diapers at night.

How about something like this? Easy to use in bed, has a drainage bag and a cap so unlikely to spill. Could easily swing his legs over the side of the bed, urinate and go right back to sleep.

https://www.amazon.com/Male-Comfort-Fit ... B003LUDNIM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:01 pm 

The potable urinal is not a bad idea.
Thank you.
I will mention this as another alternative too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:17 pm 

fiacs:
When I had knee surgery (and before my incontinence issues started) I used something similar to what is pictured above. But instead of a tube and closed bag it simply had a two quart container with a handle attached to the "funnel" (see picture below). All I had to do was turn onto my side, void into the container and snap the lid back on. I was amazed at how well such a simple system worked.

Attachment:
Male Urinal.jpg
Male Urinal.jpg [ 23.73 KiB | Viewed 6864 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:04 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions about the bedside urinal
My uncle has one ordered. Its the best compromise and I think this will work well for him.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:17 pm 

fiacs, has your uncle provided any feedback on the urinal?

W.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:19 pm 

The urinal was a good option initially. It wasn't difficult for him to fall back asleep with it.
In the past couple of months, he started noticing post micturition dribbling and his BPH meds aren't working anymore. He is scheduled for surgery tomorrow for prostate surgery to treat his bph.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:14 am 

I thought I would add my personal experience here it may be helpful. After my first accident in March 2018 I was seven weeks in hospital. It was in the trauma recovery ward, that for the first time since the accident I began to get some normal feeling ( beside the pain) in my lower abdomen. I told the nurse I actually feel like needed to pee. She brought me one of those urinals and I truly cried ( for joy ) when I was able to use it and pee normally again for the first time. I used them for the rest of my stay in the hospital day and night.
You do not get much sleep in a hospital at night as I am sure you know if you have spent any time there.
Those bottles worked great even lying down . I would fill two every night 3/4 full. The shift nurse would empty them on their rounds but they still kept me diapered just in case , and 90% of the time the brief was dry in the morning. When I returned home and started sleeping through the night and without full time nursing support I needed the regular protection back. If peeing while lying down is a problem the bottle can be used while sitting at bed side , close the lid, put it on the night stand, go back to sleep, empty and rinse in the morning. Hope this helps a little.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:18 pm 

The consensus here is strongly in favour of getting your sleep. I now have to agree.

At first I had no overnight issues and did that getting up 1-3 times in the night mambo. Then out of the blue, in summer last year, I had some bad accidents in bed, which made the mrs very unhappy, as much as she tried to understand. While she contained her disappointment, I felt very embarrassed. Something had to be done. Then I tried to make pull-ups work but concluded that they are hopeless in bed.

So how do you protect against occasional accidents?

Reluctantly, I started wearing a brief + plastic pants to bed. I still feel embarrassed about this but it works. I maintain a little dignity with them covered up by PJ bottoms. When I wake in the night needing to go, I just relieve myself in the diaper and go back to sleep. Then I sleep well until dawn. I try to hold the morning void for the toilet (otherwise I'd need a premium diaper).

The problem with getting up in the night is that your cardiovascular system has to get pumped up to strength in order to stand, walk, void and return to your bed. By the time you've lied down again, your body is still basically pumped up and ready to go (even if your mind stays on auto-pilot). For most people, that state does not lead back to sleep.

Sleep +Like