www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The stress of Flying
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:18 am 

I am sure this has been asked a thousand time however, I am going to ask again. I have not traveled much since becoming incontent and this coming week is the first time I have flown since I started having accidents. So I have a few questions for the group.
1. TSA and security how are they in our situation?
Do I need to let them know before I get scanned are they going to harass me about it or have they seen it all?
2.Packing
Prior to becoming incontent I always just did carry on however, now I have a supply bag that has to go with me every where. Do I spend the extra and check bags or should I pack in one of my 2 carry owns? (This is a week long trip so I will need a few supplys)

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Post subject: Re: The stress of Flying
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:59 am 

If you go to the TSA website, you can print out a card where you can indicate any health issues that might cause an issue when going through security. I printed one out and keep it in my billfold. If needed I can show it to them. It says that I am incontinent and need diapers. Fortunately, I have not had to use it yet. I do have a couple of trips coming up, so I'll have it if I need it. I also have a card indicating I have a pacemaker which can cause a scanner to go "nuts". As far as packing, that always causes me anxiety. I try to cram as many diapers as possible into my suitcase and carry on. I did run out on a trip to Italy a few years ago. I was able to find a pharmacy that carried what I needed. Some have suggested to have them sent to where you will be staying. I haven't attempted that route. Also, if you can fly Southwest Airlines you are allowed two checked suitcases. Hope this info helps. In my case, the anxiety of others finding out that I am incontinent and need to wear diapers is the worse part of the trip.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:04 am 

Before all this Covid stuff, I would have to fly to different areas for my job.

1. I have not had an issue with the TSA and scanning my carry on. One time I did open my suit case when I got home and found an inspection slip say they choose my bag randomly to search. I could only image the look on their face when they saw my supplies in zip lock bags and five days of clothes.
their is no need to notify them prior to anything. I would say something if you get pulled to the side for a pat down so they know they will feel padding around that area.

When my carry on bag was pulled from the inspection line, I quickly showed the agent my disability card and asked if the bag had to be empty could it be done in a private area. She told me what the issue was and I told her where to find my laptop. She pulled one of my laptops out and sent my bag back through. The reason was I had left my work and personal laptop in my bag which triggered it.

2. If I could get away with it, I would bring two carry on items with me. one for my clothes the other filled with my supplies. One would be a collapsible bag so I could fit it into the other.. Otherwise I would be a bring a bigger suitcase to check containing both. I still carried a few days of supplies in my carry on just in case my luggage was delayed or lost.

Check out the TSA security inspection in http://www.incontinentsupport.org/Intro ... iapers.pdf along with other useful information.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:20 pm 

Thank you I has no idea about the TSA card and the list is incredibly help full.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:22 pm 

My wife and I just made two trips since November, 2021. One to Dubai in UAE and to Anchorage, Alaska to visit my sister for Christmas. We also have been traveling internationally quite a bit until Covid. Normally I will spread supplies out between two checked bags, and carry enough in carry ons for one or two days in case all luggage gets lost or delayed.. I use tape on diapers (Megamax, Abena M-4 or Seni Super Quatro) on the long flights, but usually wear a pullup to the airport for passing Through TSA. Then go in the restroom near the gate to add the tape on diaper. Very rarely have there even been any questions. I try to go through dry, but a few times, that wasn't possible with the long TSA lines. Sometimes I have been patted down, but almost never any problems. TSA has always been very professional. Never any problems with any products in my carry on baggage.

For Alaska, I had Amazon deliver two boxes of products to my sister's house with no charge for shipping! We have also traveled quite a bit to Ukraine and usually stay in Kiev. I found that I can buy excellent diapers in the grocery stores or the pharmacy there. Usually the Tena Slip Super or the Seni Super Plus. That way I don't have to transport enough supplies in my checked baggage for 2-3 weeks.