www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What about Trains?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:57 am 

Looking at current gas prices and trying to figure out if I will be able to get home for Thanksgiving/Christmas this year.

On thing that I found was that the train goes out of my home state of Pa. and back close to where my parent's house is in Fl.

I have never done a long train ride but it looks like a cheaper way to go. The big thing is that I would have to bring enough diapers for the trip and stay.

So, how does security and baggage work for trains?

Develop from the negatives
Take another shot!

Post subject: Re: What about Trains?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:46 am 

ThatFLguy wrote:
Looking at current gas prices and trying to figure out if I will be able to get home for Thanksgiving/Christmas this year.

On thing that I found was that the train goes out of my home state of Pa. and back close to where my parent's house is in Fl.

I have never done a long train ride but it looks like a cheaper way to go. The big thing is that I would have to bring enough diapers for the trip and stay.

So, how does security and baggage work for trains?

UK trains have dirty toilets.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:07 am 

Hi

As far as diapers are concerned I order and have them delivered where I am staying when traveling by train/air.

When on a long train journey I go into night mode to try and avoid using the train facilities I do take extra just in case I have a rogue diaper! Train is a great way to travel!

Have a safe time!

Greenbank

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:48 am 

So, it turns out that the train is cost preventive for me. It is almost the same amount to just drive and I can drive there in less time so.

Develop from the negatives
Take another shot!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:31 pm 

My wife & I seldom travel by train, as there is very few routes worth doing on the left coast of the US. However, last week we were on the other coast, and took numerous trains between PA & DC. We found them to be a good option to renting a car, as parking can be expensive & difficult in larger cities like DC or Philly. Never had the need to explore the on board facilities, but the restrooms in the stations were kept clean and fully useful for both of us.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:27 pm 

In the US, I've taken the long-distance trains a lot. Security is very lax when it comes to trains, so in general, they don't scan or search baggage. There is checked baggage, and baggage you take with you; in the luggage you take with you --- pack what you need accordingly for the span of days you are on the train.

I'm less familiar with having a cabin on the train, but there is space there for you to have your luggage with you, and in general, I believe there is a toilet in each cabin, and window curtains if in need of a change in the cabin.

If in a coach car, which I am much more familiar with, there are many places to store your luggage (above or below your seat, near the ends of many of the cars, and significant areas in the downstairs of two story coach cars). If one is less mobile, handicapped/special-needs seating is on the bottom floor (when booking, I believe one can reserve to sit downstairs). They have many sized restrooms in the downstairs, and always a handicapped restroom. On the upper story there is also often a restroom at the ends of each car. Eastern seaboard trains and some trains in the northwest are one story, but have both handicapped restrooms & larger luggage storage areas at the ends of each car, as well as the usual space above & below one's seat.

If dealing 247, one can keep one's primary travel diaper bag stored w one at their seat, and their extra storage in one's luggage, stored in one of the nearby luggage areas to replenish one's supplies when needed. If one deals more with nighttime IC (that's me), I'd recommend just keeping one's supplies in the main downstairs luggage area and when nighttime comes, simply go downstairs, pull diaper bag from the luggage, change in one of the restrooms, and go back upstairs for the night.

Coach seating is pretty much large, stiff, lazyboy-type chairs that recline, and have foot rests. Bring a light blanket to cover oneself. In the mornings, I recommend getting up before most are flocking to the restrooms, to do what one needs & get ready for the day.

Trash receptacles in the handicapped restrooms are usually substantial. If one is in a smaller restroom for a change, the trash receptacles are definitely smaller, but are labelled for diapers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:13 am 

Wintersnow gives a fairly accurate report on AMTRAK. I used their system often back about 20 years ago, and the train interior descriptions sound very familiar.

Most riding trains for the first time will not accept the slower pace of travel and frequent schedule delays. Speed should not be your reason to board AMTRAK in the first place. To that extent, the time factor can be a wonderful opportunity to rediscover the joys of conversation, if you are a sociable type. Dining car and lounge car settings are where you'll have this opportunity due to shared seating and mingling with other riders.

Certainly, there is a lot of room offered in coach seating, more than with any airline first class seating plan. That can mean comfort for some, as can more expensive sleeping car rooms where dining car meals are included or served COVID style in a box delivered to your room (bummer). I must say that sleeping car space does afford one a good measure of privacy and quiet, often well worth it for the extra fare paid.

AMTRAK fares and food will offer no price advantage over car travel, even at $7.00 a gallon. Sleeping space is even more costly. Check with AMTRAK, but I don't think you'll save any money vs. going by car.

There are hours of AMTRAK travel reports on YouTube and lots more to read at AMTRAK.com. Dive in and learn.

Being inco was never an issue on my travels; certainly less troublesome than with any airline herding. Still, travel by rail is not for most people these days. It presents a different form of transit that begs an open mind.

Additionally, rail travel should be reserved for the select few who feel comfortable experiencing the 'mood' of another era while seeing the country at ground level and NOT as seen from today's Interstate highways.

I can tolerate and even crave this form of travel simply because I grew up in an era where we rode trains now and again.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:09 pm 

I can comment on Canada and VIA Rail. Two toilets per car and they are either m/f as needed. Each toilet flushes, can accommodate a person in a wheel chair, a parent and young children, an adult and their caregiver, has a sink with running water and soap and paper towels and a trash can. The windows are frosted for privacy. The doors slide open and you can latch the lock. A personal article and a suitcase up to the airline standard is the typical luggage allowance but business class which is more costly provides extra baggage allowances. Always check the website for the latest. If both toilets are occupied in your car, you may go to another car in search of a vacant toilet. As with many trains the toilets may be locked at the station before departure as the stuff goes onto the tracks in some cases. I also took a sleeper car, a single bed with a door and a toilet and sink on an overnight trip. The toilet is not accessible once you lay down the single bed made from daytime seating. The solution is to tip down the sink and pee in the sink. As a lady I could do this as the sink was only about a foot off the bed when horizontal with it and it made squatting over it easy as your feet are on the bed and you could even sit on the sink. I have nocturia so I peed in the sink several times each night, tipped the sink back up to drain it (through an opening onto the tracks) and then pulled it down again to rinse it before putting it back up. It is not only gentleman's privilege but lady's privilege also. These were the Renaissance sleeper cars of VIA Rail. Two bed compartments may have a toilet that is usable when the beds are set up for sleep due to greater space. I took a shower the next morning and had to go down to the end of the carriage for the shower room which was lockable and accommodated one person to move around and change clothes. Of course I had to pee during my shower so I just peed and it all went down the drain and onto the tracks (you could see the tracks through the shower drain). The water was hot enough for a shower.