www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: letter to the VA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:32 pm 
Admin

If you can’t drive there, you can call the patient advocate on the phone at your local VA hospital. I drove two hours to see them because I wanted a face to face meeting.

On your earlier post, I formerly used O2 at night. I had a concentrator that I was paying for out of pocket. I told my VA doc and they gave me one no questions asked. The hospital had some company come service it every 90 days. I no longer need it though.

Also, I really don’t use the VA for my care. I see them once every six months. I mainly just get diapers from them but all my care is done through my private insurance. I have very fragile health and the VA can’t provide the care I need.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:26 pm 

I was truly blessed with a cpap machine. Seems I like to stop breathing during the night. (Sigh) A veteran told me not to go with the VA. So, I get my supplies every month for free though private insurance vs the VA every 6 months.

I guess it depends on which VA center you go to as to care.

I see my VA social worker next month, she is a go-get-er. I’m sure she will help. If I can over come my embarrassment.

I think I’ll try those 24/7 diapers from XP Medical.

Oh, and the oxygen concentrator w/bottle back up is now only for nights. The VA is still paying for that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:05 pm 
Admin

I prefer the Abena abri-form over the 24/7. But that’s just me. I wear the M4 with abri-let booster pad. The VA buys them for me. I used to see a LCSW for therapy at the VA till recently. I talked to him about all kinds of things including health issues. He discharged me though. His reasoning was that he had been seeing me for two years and had to make room for other patients.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:33 pm 

I guess I’ll have to try those also. I’m too screwed up for the VA to let me go.

There is a Veterans Center here that is open to all vets for any reason. No one is kicked out. They are federal employees (counselors). Do you have one of these in your area? Just have to show your honorable discharge DD-214.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:40 pm 
Admin

I’m not sure about that. I go to therapy through private insurance. My psychiatrist works out of a major medical center in the city. It’s not through the VA. My therapist is a Ph.D. who works with my Psychiatrist.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:58 pm 

Wow, this is taking us off topic. You’re gonna have me taking about my physiological problems and PTSD. We all need help sometimes. I need help all the time, especially when I put the...

Well I have a month or so to develope the courage to talk to my SW or advocate.

I wish you the best in health and have deeply appreciated you giving up your time to talk to me.

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:04 pm 
Admin

I would talk to the patient advocate about this. Your SW may not be able to help you. The PA works with the medical side and the relations between you and your treatment team. There is a way to do this. You just have to talk to the right person.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:57 pm 

Sorry for the delay, I was watching Styx—The Grand Illusion/Pieces Of Eight Live DVD.

I will follow your advice.

And be nice...even though that is getting harder with age. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:33 pm 

Just did a search on the VA National Acquisition Medsurg site. I found this for Molicare:

https://www.va.gov/nac/MedSurg/List?cbo ... rch=Search

Lots of choices. I used this when Depends real fit finally made this list. I gave my Doc the catalog number and the order was placed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:54 pm 

I’m confused...My VA pharmacy said they could NOT order me anything but Wings (i.e. Kendall, etc.).

I spent a lot of time on the phone—shoot me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next